Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slipping Ruler >

Slipping Ruler

Slipping Ruler

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Ida

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have heard of the little round sand paper on the back of a ruler ?
Yes, I am going to try that. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Ida

Originally Posted by QKO
I had a lot of trouble with that when I started cutting, as well. The basic problem, at least for me, was technique. I had to practice a lot with keeping the cutter blade totally vertical, and lined up perfectly with the ruler. The problem I (and I suspect most people) had with moving the ruler was canting the cutter in against the ruler, like this /| while the blade should be straight with the ruler, like this || as well as being perfectly vertical. When I switched to a Martelli Ergo cutter it helped a lot too, as it eliminated the "flop" in the cutter.

Of course, I had an advantage in that my wife is a "certified rotary cutting instructor" and she taught me how to do it correctly.
:mrgreen:

It takes some practice. Get some old cheap Wally fabric and practice a lot, cutting strips. The non-slip stuff you got works well too!
Yes, I am going to practice. Several of the ladies have sent me scraps so I can use them. My wally's doesn't carry fabric. Thank you for your help. The "slashes" help me understand.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

it's also very important to use sharp blades. when your blade gets dull, you automatically press harder as you run the cutter up the side of the ruler. that extra pressure can cause your ruler to slip.

also, and ironically, the harder you press down on the ruler with your "ruler hand", the more likely it is that the ruler will slip.

when you're cutting through more than one layer of fabric, even if the ruler seems to stay in place, the top layer of fabric can slip off-kilter relative to the under layers.

not trying to scare you.

despite the "scaries", the key is to relax. the less tense you are, the better you'll get.

you will get the hang of it before you know it. ;-)
Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
also, and ironically, the harder you press down on the ruler with your "ruler hand", the more likely it is that the ruler will slip.

Wow I never realized this. I wonder if that is why my ruler stays better when I hold it with just my finger tips kind of tented on the ruler, as opposed to flat palmed?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Ida

Yes, I do press hard. Maybe that is some of it! I started using a smaller ruler and that helped some. I might be pushing too hard on the ruler. I haven't cut more than one layer of fabric so far (I'm a chicken!)

Thanks everyone for your help. I know it will come together, just can't give up!

Ida
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 PM

When you position your ruler place your hand toward the bottom of the ruler. As you cut and pass your hand stop, walk your fingers slowly up and reposition them then continue to cut. It also helps if you leave your pinky finger off of the ruler and on the fabric. It stabilizes the ruler. Hope it helps. When started quilting I could only cut one layer at a time. With practice come confidence. You'll get there.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM

what is the difference in asking that question in Main or here? It seems there are questions here all the time! I'm not that versed on all the rules about posting, but Chit Chat seems to be for everything.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM

There could be several reasons that it's going wonky on you.

1. Press down, not away. Usually this requires standing.
2. If you have a dull blade it can push rather than cut the fabric
3. If you have too many layers the fabric will move
4. You just need more practice. Relax, it will get easier
5. you might be using the wrong size ruler. Big fabric--big ruler, small fabric small ruler. Your ruler should always be at least a few inches bigger than what you're cutting but not a foot bigger, it just gets clumsy if it's too big.
If you are using a bigger ruler and bigger fabric try going to your local Menards, Lowes or Home depot. Go to the bathroom department and get a suction type handle. It looks and acts just like The Gripper in quilt stores but it's about 1/4 - 1/2 the price.

p.s. I agree with QKO about getting some cheap fabric to practice on. It's also a good way to get rid of some worn out or out dated cotton clothing. Cut it up, throw it away, no money lost, experience gained. Just cut the seams out first and use flat pieces of fabric.

p.s.s. I never look at the thread it's posted on only the title to the message so . . . . . . . .
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Just found something that works really well for me. They are the little round felt circles that are made to put on the bottom of items to prevent damage to your furniture surfaces. They come on sheets of paper just like stamps and don't make the ruler sit unevenly. I started out just using them on my larger rulers but liked them so much I also use them on all my small shapes.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by clem55
what is the difference in asking that question in Main or here? It seems there are questions here all the time! I'm not that versed on all the rules about posting, but Chit Chat seems to be for everything.
The Main section is for topics related to quilting. Chit Chat is for things not related to quilting. A quilting question could be easily passed over if it's listed in Chit Chat. a lot of people never go into that section.

there are descriptions, content policies, and directions at the top of each section. makes for pretty interesting reading. ;-)