Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
slotted cutting mat >

slotted cutting mat

slotted cutting mat

Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
I have one of these, have had it for several years, I have never used it . Guess, I bought it because it was on sale, never found any patterns for using it.
I can't imagine squaring up blocks without it. Especially 1/2 square triangles and small blocks. Heads off a lot of frustration when assembling.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM

i love mine once you learn to use it you'll how did u do without it. i had the one set at 1/2 then found one that is in 1/4 it is great.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM

I would love the 1/4 one will have to look for that!! Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm new at quilting and cutting and the rotary cutter. I measured with the regular type rules , made paper templates and still couldn't get things to come out right. Then I saw these rulers/cutters at the LQS and bought the small one; read the instructions and practiced with it and followed the directions. I felt like I had struck gold! They are the best thing I have found and have since bought every size. I can't believe none of the "experienced quilters" I know told me nothing about them and when I asked them about the June Tailor cutters, most of them acted like I was from Mars. Their loss and my gain!!! You can cut strips in no time. I also have a Go-Cutter but not all of their dies which can get expensive.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM

here is a you tube vido on how to use it. hope this link works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE

Originally Posted by janb
I bought a slotted cutting mat, (the lines are cut thru the clear plastic mat) and have had no luck using it...anyone know just how? Do I use the ruller also? Please help.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
BMP

I so want one of these for Christmas !!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:37 PM

I have used the 12" and 18" ones for years. Just recently while browsing the JoAnn's web site I saw that a new 24" one has hit the market. I ordered it right away. I know a lot of quilters who look down their noses at these wonders but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I have to lean on any ruler to prevent slippage at the far end of the cut and do so with this one.

What kind of clamp was it mentioned above? I'm interested.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
Just recently while browsing the JoAnn's web site I saw that a new 24" one has hit the market.
Oh I want one of those!
I had one for a while, but what really sold me on using it was when I took a class with Eleanor Burns and when I asked her how they cut the fabric we had in our kits she said they used a slotted ruler and that really convinced me to make better use of it than I had been.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM

I am just finishing up a quilt in which I used a slotted cutting board. For the most part I liked it, it will cut several strips at a time accureatly. However I occasionaly used another board to re-align the the straight edge again. It seems to go offf the slightest bit after several cuts. Otherwise I liked it. I seem to fall back to the two measuring rulers, creature of habit I guess.!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Ha Ha, I know how you feel. I too am relativly new to quilting. I have sewn many years off and on and did a lot of crafting of all sorts. Even taught a few classes for fun. I love gadgets and will try many new ones if I can afford them. Have fun!