Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slotted ruler >

Slotted ruler

Slotted ruler

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann
Originally Posted by judi43
I used the June Taylor Ruler all the time & loved it but I bought my own Xmas present this year & it was the Quilt Cut 2 and I used it for everything. You can cut 6 layers and nothing moves, IT'S SUPER>
Okay, I'll bite...what is that, where can you get it, and how much?
Saw it at michaels today for regular price of $13.99 with a 40% coupon from today's paper, that's a steal!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Are you talking about the Shape Cut by June Taylor? If so I love mine. I don't know how I would get along without it. If your not - I would love to know what you are talking about.
That is the one I have. Absolutely love it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I use my smallest one almost constantly. It works great to square up pieced blocks. Not too good to be true in my opinion. I have now boughten other sizes too.

Kat
I never thought to use one for squaring up. Good idea! I use it all the time for other things, though.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM

If it is the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler, it is the real thing and a great tool to have. I use mine anytime I need to cut strips. First one I got was the 12", then I got the 1/4" one, and now I have the 18" one. Love them all.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
Question.......why would this help in not getting the dreaded wave at the seam? I thought that was due to inacurate folding before cutting.
I'm a big fan of ripping vertical because of having that wave too many times to count.
I've looked at the shapecut video and am impressed. I didn't know you could cut shapes with it. But will i still get the dreaded wave?
I use the large Shape Cut Plus and have to fold my fabric twice. (so there are 4 layers) When I make the second fold I iron it so all the fabric layers are really even. At times I will still get the dreaded wave but it is never so bad as with using a regular ruler. At least this is my experience. Anyone else get perfect cuts without the wave everytime??
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by kim_s
Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
Question.......why would this help in not getting the dreaded wave at the seam? I thought that was due to inacurate folding before cutting.
I'm a big fan of ripping vertical because of having that wave too many times to count.
I've looked at the shapecut video and am impressed. I didn't know you could cut shapes with it. But will i still get the dreaded wave?
I use the large Shape Cut Plus and have to fold my fabric twice. (so there are 4 layers) When I make the second fold I iron it so all the fabric layers are really even. At times I will still get the dreaded wave but it is never so bad as with using a regular ruler. At least this is my experience. Anyone else get
perfect cuts without the wave everytime??

I'm afraid ti jinx myself, but thus far I have not, and I hope I don't because I wouldn't know what to do if I did!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 AM

I have all the sizes and the circle cutter too I love them
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Love, love, love it.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I really like the idea of this ruler but have a question... I've read on the boards here and a few blogs that it's best to use the same brand of rulers through the entire project to guarantee the same accurate measurements from start to finish. Will using this ruler for strip piecing at the beginning throw off the entire project if you own a different brand of rulers?

I would love to fix my problem of wavy strips! That's my biggest frustration in quilting right now, my inability to cut straight strips. lol
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM

I bought one when they first fcme out. I really got in a mess when cutting 2-1/2" Somehow I got in the wrong slots a few times and really messeed up big time.