Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slotted rulers for Quilters >

Slotted rulers for Quilters

Slotted rulers for Quilters

Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Default Slotted rulers for Quilters

Recently i watched utube and happened upon someone cutting strips. but the slotted "ruler" looked like dark gray foam with slits. What is that? What ever it is looked like it would be better than trying to cut in between plastic. nicks can happen that way. Just wondering. anyone?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 AM

These are called 'Stripology' rulers by Creative Grids. There is another maker too, June Taylor?, I think. The creativr grids rulers are very sturdy, and some people over here love them.

I am not aware of any other type, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Martelli also has some strip rulers:

https://shop.martellinotions.com/strip-rulers.html
Old 08-22-2019, 01:55 PM

I really do like the slotted ruler I have purchased both the June Tailor and the creative grids. My biggest problem with them is that I feel like it chip my rotary cutter blades when I use them. Its probably operator error ha ha ha
Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

i have a plastic flat one but this one was thick. the blade of the cutter went down into the slits or slots. dark gray it looked like. cannot find it anywhere, no matter what i call it. i wish i could remember what video it was on u-tube.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:32 PM

It sounds like the Martelli cutting rulers. https://shop.martellinotions.com/strip-rulers.html
Old 08-23-2019, 12:09 AM

Looks like you would need one of these for each size of strip.
I have the stripology and love it. half inch increments, so I can cut strips of various sizes, quickly and evenly.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Ginaky, i looked at those yesterday but didn't click on the large one with .5 inch cuts. that may actually be it! thanks.
even had a video. Not that i'm looking, just wondered what it was. odd looking but may be good.
and Thanks, Bearisgray too!

Last edited by nativetexan; 08-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:57 AM

I have the Stripology and I cannot rave about it enough. I love using it and I try to use it any time I need to cut even just a couple strips. Can you believe it actually makes cutting fun for me?

I have never used a June Tailor Shape Cut, but having read other people's thoughts about it, it seems the Stripology is made of thicker material, a little stiffer so it's sturdier, and your blade doesn't jump out of the slot. I've heard of others' June Tailor ruler breaking?? I can't imagine that happening with the Stripology. Plus, it's Creative Grids so it has all the wonderful grippy stuff on the back.

Mine is the longer (shorter) rectangular one, so you have to be ok with double folding your fabric. I just use a regular 45mm blade to cut and I rarely ever have problems with not making a complete cut through both ends of the fabric folds. The slots are in 1/2in increments, but either with some simple math or following the included chart, you can easily cut in 1/4in increments as well. There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube if you want to watch them.

I can cut a jelly roll in under an hour including ironing time. Charm packs and layer cakes are easy peasy. Any strips, squares, or rectangles are super fast because you're not moving your ruler and lining up for every cut. You just fold up your pressed fabric and make 1 cut on the 0 line to trim, then away you go to cut strips. Then, I usually open up my strips so they're single folded to subcut into whatever else I need. It's fast, accurate, and so easy.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM

If you saw it on F&P, I believe it was Martelli's slotted rulers. They were using the Martelli rotary cutter also. The hardest part about using them is not seeing all of the fabric. It's hidden by the foam. But it does work great.