Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Slow Machine

  1. #1
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30

    Slow Machine

    I have a Janome L-392. It makes a pretty stitch, but is terribly slow. Is there way to adjust the speed (no manual) or is it just slow? Or is it dying??! I have taken it apart and it's clean inside. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas tx.
    Posts
    4,692
    Blog Entries
    3
    Sounds like your foot feed to me

  3. #3
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Sounds like your foot feed to me
    is that fixable?

  4. #4
    Senior Member JabezRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    386
    Blog Entries
    1
    HB took my FW foot pedal apart and it was full of lint. Cleaned it out and back to running normal again, no more slow down to a crawl.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

  5. #5
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Thanks! I tried that, and it was only a little dusty. Nothing alarming.

    Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    HB took my FW foot pedal apart and it was full of lint. Cleaned it out and back to running normal again, no more slow down to a crawl.

  6. #6
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,678
    That machine is supposed to have an electronic speed control - not sure how you set it though.
    http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/jl392.htm

  7. #7
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Aha! Now we're getting somewhere! I sure wish I had this manual! I'm excited about the machine again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    That machine is supposed to have an electronic speed control - not sure how you set it though.
    http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/jl392.htm

  8. #8
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Aw, all I can find is "
    Controlling Sewing Speed
    Sewing speed can be varied by the foot control.
    The harder you press on the foot control, the
    faster the machine runs"
    It's true to a point.. it does run a little faster when the pedel is to the metal...
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Aha! Now we're getting somewhere! I sure wish I had this manual! I'm excited about the machine again!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Oh My!! I think I found the problem!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Super Member Val in IN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,151
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yikes!! I believe you've soved the mystery

  11. #11
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    well, I'm glad that's not lurking in my hand crank anymore, but it doesn't seem to be going any faster

  12. #12
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,164
    Blog Entries
    1
    I found what appears to be a free manual online here:
    http://homeappliance.manualsonline.c...machine-595232
    Looks like you have to register on the site (free) in order to download it.

    Also found a free download at this website:
    http://www.imarksweb.net/book/free+d...me+model+l+392

    I would experiment with running the machine with no thread or fabric, presser foot up. If it is slow running this way, then I would suspect there is something wrong with the foot pedal. I'm thinking the foot pedal may not be sending the correct signal to the machine regarding speed.

  13. #13
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    My husband says "that's not fast?" so maybe it's just me. Seems like it's holding back or being governed somehow. Compared to my other Janome, which does have a speed control slide-y thingie, it's about 3/4 of the way "fast". Oh well. It will do!!

  14. #14
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    Thank you for finding these!!! One will be printed tomorrow and come in VERY handy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I found what appears to be a free manual online here:
    http://homeappliance.manualsonline.c...machine-595232
    Looks like you have to register on the site (free) in order to download it.

    Also found a free download at this website:
    http://www.imarksweb.net/book/free+d...me+model+l+392

    I would experiment with running the machine with no thread or fabric, presser foot up. If it is slow running this way, then I would suspect there is something wrong with the foot pedal. I'm thinking the foot pedal may not be sending the correct signal to the machine regarding speed.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    76
    My Pfaff has a slider ont he foot controlwhich limits the top speed, but some machines have it builtinto the front of the machine itself. it looks like > >> >>> or something like that. Do you know anyone else with that machine? Does thier run the same top speed? Can you borrow thier foot and try it on your machine.... thereby identifying if it is the attached foot or the machine that is at fault?

    Best Becks
    (who always turns the foot control speed down when she loans it to a student in class)

  16. #16
    Super Member AshleyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,099
    Blog Entries
    30
    No, I don't know many sewers locally. I don't see anything on the machine or the foot that indicates speed.

    I took the top off and thought it looked pretty clean too. So I oiled it and noticed some thread wrapped around something. It took a while, but I think I got it all off. Plugged it in and fired it up. It's doing much better. The funny thing is: I have 4 sewing machines. As far as speed, it would come in 3rd. The winner would be, no contest, my Kenmore from the 1960's!

    Quote Originally Posted by cheezythequiltmaker View Post
    My Pfaff has a slider ont he foot controlwhich limits the top speed, but some machines have it builtinto the front of the machine itself. it looks like > >> >>> or something like that. Do you know anyone else with that machine? Does thier run the same top speed? Can you borrow thier foot and try it on your machine.... thereby identifying if it is the attached foot or the machine that is at fault?

    Best Becks
    (who always turns the foot control speed down when she loans it to a student in class)

  17. #17
    Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gaylord, KS
    Posts
    390
    WOW no wonder I think I would be running a little slower with myself in a bind as well..........lol

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,908
    Yup! That'll do it!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.