Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small Art Quilts >

Small Art Quilts

Small Art Quilts

Old 09-29-2021, 02:33 PM

Default Small Art Quilts

Hi, I haven't posted in some time. I've been busy with things at the house, and helping out up at the local observatory to get ready for the annual "Night Sky Festival".

I've really liked doing regular quilts that you cut and piece together. But I am wanting to try something else. I saw a few videos on YouTube on Art quilts, but the one thing that confuses me is how the makers got the shading done. And how they actually put together pieces that are of various odd shapes.

Most of what I have seen are landscapes and buildings. As an astronomer, I thought I might try doing something like Saturn or Jupiter, or the Starscapes you might see on a science fiction book cover..

I'm thinking that some of what I will have to do is free motion embroidery to make some things. But for now, I need to learn how to piece together irregular pieces of fabric.

I've already purchased Pellon 808 Craft Fuse to stick the fabric in place. At least I think something like this is needed for a project like I envision.

I've already printed out the photos of Jupiter and Saturn to try practising. I'm going to start very simple, without a lot of detail.

Can anyone point me to a video on how to put together odd shaped pieces of fabric.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

There are several “sewing with Nancy” videos on you tube which might help you. Google sewing with Nancy art quilts.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:11 PM

Thanks so very much. I did Google that, and the first video is with an award winner, who will show how she makes things. Just have to watch the two parts. Hopefully I can do this. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Hope it helps. I just googled “how to make an art quilt” and there are a lot of you tubes. You probably would want to watch a lot of them and figure out how to make the technique work for you.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:34 AM

Many art quilts fuse their fabric. I use steam a seam 2. Others use Heat n Bond or misty fuse I’ve never heard of pellon craft fuse but if it’s sticky on both sides it should work. I then use FMQ to stitch these pieces down. I’m much better at this applique style of quilting than I am at traditional blocks It’s fun but like anything else, takes practice.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Some people lay out their pieces and put tulle over it all and sew it down. Sometimes using fancy threads. Lots of ways to do it. All good.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:49 AM

I never heard of "Craft Fuse" You just want to make sure it can be stitched through. Some fusible's are not meant to be used on fabric that is going to be stitched on. The adhesive may gum up the needle or just be too tough for the needle to go through. So make sure what you are using is meant for the technique you are going to use.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks for questioning the item I purchased. After some digging around, I discovered it isn't for embroidery or quilting, but fuses things together like double layer hand bags and things that require reinforcement.

Can anyone tell me a really good wash away backing for the purpose of making art quilts and doing embroidery. There's a ton of them out, but after making yet another purchase mistake, I am not wanting to waste any more money on mistakes. I've already lost several hundred dollars purchasing something that didn't work.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
Thanks for questioning the item I purchased. After some digging around, I discovered it isn't for embroidery or quilting, but fuses things together like double layer hand bags and things that require reinforcement.

Can anyone tell me a really good wash away backing for the purpose of making art quilts and doing embroidery. There's a ton of them out, but after making yet another purchase mistake, I am not wanting to waste any more money on mistakes. I've already lost several hundred dollars purchasing something that didn't work.
why don’t you watch a few of the videos and see what they use. Then buy a small amount in case you don’t like it.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:25 PM

I'm watching a video of a lady showing how to do a landscape scene. She uses Pellon Wonder Under 805 lightweight fusible webbing. It's a polyester with paper backing with adhesive. She seems to think this is the best, so I will give it a go.