Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Ironing Board for Sewing Room - Need Suggestions, Please

Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    I used a wooden tv tray with a beach towel on top of it and set it right next to me. I fold it up when I'm not using it.
    I did this same thing & LOve it! & use it all the time! I actually cut up an ironing board cover & made it fit..stays on all the time , even when folded away.

I have one that my hubby built into the wall. I love it and can close it when not in use.

Blog Entries
    $85.00 ??? Wow. I found a piece of particle board in the garage, covered it with batting, then a beach towel. Stapled it real good to the backside. Now I have a movable large ironing suface I can put anywhere. Cost? About $ nothing, but my time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
    Something to think about when making your own boards: I went to a workshop years ago with Sharon Schamber. She sold small ironing boards that her husband had made. They were just wood with heavy natural-color canvas or duck cloth stapled to it. They have no padding, and therefore no "give" at all. The reason she leaves out the padding is she believes that too much "give" allows the block to become distorted when pressing. It took me a while to get used to the idea of such a hard ironing board, but now when I used the boards at my LQS which have multiple layers of ironing board covers on them, I can see exactly what she was talking about.
    My BIG board and small boards only have one layer of batting and a cover sheet on them...can't go without a tiny bit of something. I've tried other boards with lots of 'cushy give' and didn't like them at all.

Make sure your small board is big enough and sturdy enough to hold your iron without falling over and large enough to press at least a 12 1/2" block.

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Quote Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
    I love mine that I made from wooden tv tray from Walmart..around $7. sure is convenient by my machine..used aluminum foil next to wood..then 2 layers of batting and then fabric..made it with elastic around the edgeAttachment 430773 so I can slip it off to wash...
    This is how I made mine although I did not put the foil under the batting. I probably will wish that I had. Mine matches the curtains in my sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    You don't need to worry about what you will put in the bins. You are a quilter. Give us storage and we will fill it.
    So true!!!

I made my own with the TV tray and love it. I saw the instructions on this board. It works great and slides into a small space. If I need more room I have a regular ironing board that adjusts to different heights, or I use my island.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    This is how I made mine although I did not put the foil under the batting. I probably will wish that I had. Mine matches the curtains in my sewing room.
    Oh, and mine cost $7 - not $85. $7 for the wood tray from Walmart and the rest was left overs.

Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Cool Slide Out Ironing Board

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I've been looking for a smaller size ironing board for my sewing room. I've been using one of those table top thingies, which I dislike very much. If you had this one, what would you use the three bins for? (The top raises to access the bins, and they are also removable.) Just trying to think this through. I'm also open to any suggestions. I just don't have much floor space available.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-t...31-210071849-2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZLxfptHRg

Check this tut out. I really like it and plan to make one when I get moved into my sewing room. I have a table much like the one in the video that will work perfectly.

Right now I use a small ironing board that sets on the table, but I find that I have to keep getting up and down to iron, so the suggestions of the tv tables or something like a pull out would work well.
    Linda K Stafford

"Wag more - Bark less"

Wine is the Answer.....What is the Question????

Well I found this changing table on CL and we repainted and made it into an ironing station, plus I have lots of additional storage. Sorry having issues getting the picture to post, will keep trying.

See below for picture : )
    Last edited by Amythyst02; 08-19-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Amythyst

If I had room for one like that I would use the bins for batting, pillow forms, scraps, interfacing, projects already in bags, etc.

Going to try just using the attachment ... and see if that works. Behind the door is 3 shelves, and the drawers are nice and large. We only paid about $10.00 for the cabinet and we had the paint. The fabric was left over from the other items I had decorated in my little sewing nook.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Amythyst02; 08-19-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Amythyst

I bought a piece of plywood from Lowes (about 2x2), made a cover for it and screwed on feet. Absolutely LOVE it!! I had one of those tabletop ironing boards (in storage now) and hated it!! I put the one I have now on my cutting table to use it and lean it against the table when not using it. I've also put it beside me when I'm sewing a lot of things that need ironing (like half-square triangles) so I don't have to get up every two seconds. PERFECT solution for me!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I m in line with sak658. I don't have one, but covering a TV tray that way is a great idea. and You can fold it up when you aren't using it

Power Poster
    To me that looks more like something you would use in a laundry room, if you have one. Right now I'm using a tabletop ironing board using heavyweight cardboard, then Insul-Brite, a layer of cotton batting, and muslin. I do have some ironing board cover fabric somewhere, so when I make another, larger board, I'd probably use that. If I've pre-washed fabric, I will use my regular ironing board, set it up and watch TV while I iron - goes pretty quickly that way, the small board I use when sewing/quilting, since I don't have room to set up the ironing board.

Blog Entries
    I made me 2 ironing pads. I used cotton batting for the extra ironing cushion. With a piece of material on top, I can remove anytime. The 1st size, is 15" x 15". My sewing area, width is only 22" wide. A L shape area. Works fine for me. The other 1, I made is only 9" x 13. Works fine also. When my dog's are up in my sewing area, and I need to iron, I can grab the smaller 1.

I have a tv tray that I am needing to make into a pressing table. For most things, it should be large enough. When I do need a larger pressing area, I either use my ironing board, set up in another room, or a big board set on top of a table. It probably is a good idea to get up and stretch every once in a while rather than just sitting and moving from the ironing board to the pressing table without leaving the room.

Get a wooden folding TV tray (Walmart has them) and cover it with batting, piece of muslin, and the silver colored fabric (can't remember what it is called). Staple all of these layers to the bottom of the tray. Fold it up when not in use, take it on your quilting retreats!! Handy, and inexpensive.

I have one made with a tray table from WalMart also. I love it, its just the right size and its right next to me so no getting up and down. I used the batting that you use for potholders and two layers of fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingloulou View Post
    Never seen this type before but it looks like it could be handy. I am sure you would find something to use the bins for but at the moment I don't know what.
    You could use the bins for fabric, of course or UFOs

Quote Originally Posted by liese View Post
    You could use the bins for fabric, of course or UFOs
    I have a small "antique" child's ironing board that I can place beside me by the machine. Folds up like a big board when not in use. Makes it more fun!

OK- my comment got posted in the wrong place in this thread. It is early yet.................

I have a combination iron and cutting mat that folds in half.
    It comes in handy as I can keep it next to my sewing machine.
    Its about 12 x 18 in when closed.

I use a large floor tile and covered it with batting and fabric learned that from Jenny on MSQC

I have one mounted on the wall (though not this kind)
    It's convenient because the board can swivel to where it's best. My husband made a 'big board' that fits over it for quilting
    It can swivel up for storage, though it never is
    http://www.amazon.com/Hafele-America.../dp/B001DSY7YI

The one I have came from Lowe's (or Home Depot?) and costs $79.
    Last edited by RugosaB; 08-20-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast