Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: small items for a shower

any ideas for some favors to sew for a baby shower?

Blog Entries
    Bibs booties mittens for the hands I made them from a receiving blanket for our preemie DGS at the time. If your favors are going to be given to the mom at the end which we usually do.

If not then coasters/ bookmarks/ cup cozies

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One of the latest things babies like is a piece of flannel with different ribbons sewn around the edges. Babies like to feel tags, such as the tags on clothing so people have been making these for ones as young as 4 months.
    Take a piece of flannel about 24 X 12 inches. Get a wide variety of ribbons, all colors, silky and grograin, all about 5 inches or so. Take the ribbon, fold each one in half so you have a loop with the ends together. Fold your flannel to make a 12 inch square. place each ribbon along the edges, about 4 on each side. Stitch the edges of flannel together with the ribbons secure but the loop hanging out about 2 or 2 1/2 inches.
    Clear as mud? I'll have to draw it out for you and get back to you in the morning if you need help. I don't have one made. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

wow that sounds cool, can you take a picture of one and post here so we can see it, thanks

have seen this quite cute,

I'll wait for the drawing! I would like to make my grandchild one. I think I understand what you are describing, but a picture would help. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    bysue..are you talking about favors to give to the guests?
    the Snap bag,coin purse i made would make a great gift to give out..i think.."wonder wallet" is quick to make and uses scraps too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here is a drawing of what I'm talking about.
    I hope this shows up. I made it in my Excel program.
    This is an idea of the baby ribbons square. Each of the ribbons can be a different color, width, and either satin or grograin ribbons.

Take two 12 inch squares of flannel (fleece will probably work also), place the folded ribbons along the wrong side of the one square and stitch each in place. Place the other 12 inch square on top (wrong sides together) and sew both pieces together. This will make the ribbons sewn in place twice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are talking about hosting and want to give goodies...I am giving a wedding shower in June and I am making scented hot pads for each of the guests. Just a thought!-

Blog Entries
    how about these for gifts!
    http://twowackywomen.com/files/notju...hernotepad.pdf

you can get the noteblooks in bulk at sams club or a staples,office max maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide

They are so cute and something you would use for sure. Not even my question but thanks for the answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide

Thanks so much for that link. I love those and will be making many.

Thank you quiltinggrannie. I'll give it a try. The little babies love to play with the "labels"

Here's a little something different that I made from a free pattern on the internet. They are sweet baby shoes made out of paper that are filled with a little poof of candy. If you want the link, let me know. They have boy shoes and girl shoes.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...by-shower.html

Another idea is to give a mini-pedicure set in a little quilty bag and the bag has a tag that says "Now that she can see her feet again!!"

Good luck with your baby shower!

Those little taggie blankets that quitinggrannie wrote about are great. Babies love them. If you give them as part of a baby gift, give them in pairs. I've had moms call me that they lost their taggie blankie somewhere, and their baby can't go to bed without it and I end up making another for them. I now give two taggies, and I keep one in the house for emergencies :)

Another thing that I loved from a friend is flannel spit rags. They were kidney shapped and about 12 inches long by about 6 inches wide. They were perfect for when we went out and about and didn't wan tto bring the huge cloth diaper rags! they were soft and absorbant too. My friend layered two pieces of flannel together and then serged around the outside. They would also be cute ragged I think!

I've seen this done but using a silky type fabric instead. Babies love these!

Bailey's Mom, I'm giving a bridal shower in a few weeks, how do you make scented hot pads and are they easy and quick to make? Thanks

goodies for the guests?
    I like the idea of hot pads, and was also thinking maybe bookmarks. fusiable web and they could be done it no time.
    or pincushions

Thank you Watterstide-I am always looking for gift ideas for the ladies I work with. I can't wait to make the notebooks. Thanks again!

Thanks for the link. You just soved the problem of my notebook scratching my glass top table.

Blog Entries
    I have made a lot of them. My GD loves her 'taggie'! I make them with fleece. If they use a pacifier, you can loop it to one of the ribbons with another ribbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Hi,

wow that sounds cool, can you take a picture of one and post here so we can see it, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I make a lot of burp cloths from the remnant bins. I watch for pieces at least 12". Usually the plain colors are heavier and more absorbant so I use that for the back and a cute print for the top. Cut the wof in half and can get 2 cloths if you use two coordinating fabrics. Don't need to cut out anything--just wof so it will hang over the shoulder and arm. Usually when they spit up it ends up on your sleeve so it's good to have the cloth covering that, too! Sew around, turn right side out and top stitch.

Another little gift --covers for the straps on car seats. Cut 2 pieces 6 1/4 x at least 4". Put a bit of batt inside and then velcro on the 4" side so the 6 1/4" part wraps around the strap. This protects the baby's neck from irritation from the straps and also gives a bit of support to a sleepy head. These work well for any age as long as they are in the seats. Might even work with bigger people who complain about seat belts rubbing on their necks!

Oops! I neglected to say that I make those burp cloths from flannel!! The strap covers can be anything. Flannel might be too warm for summertime so cottons in kids prints are nice.

My grankids loved those taggy things! Great way to use up ribbon too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast