Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke smell in quilts- help please! >

Smoke smell in quilts- help please!

Smoke smell in quilts- help please!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
To get rid of smoke smell, use white vinegar. Add it to your rinse water, whether you wash it by machine, or ??? I put stuff into the dryer for a short bit, and they smell so clean! The vinegar smell disappears, but it also acts as a fabric softener. I usually use a downy ball with an inch of vinegar in it. Helps break down soap scum too!
vinegar will get rid of many many smells. i use it when i was the guinea pig bedding. i make them "quilts" of fleese with absorbant batting between instead of using the aspen shavings. so much neater and easier to clean. but..... if it wasn't for the vinegar, the bedding would not be reusable. kwim? it's also great for baby stuff and the elderly who have problems.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:28 PM

do not forget good old fashioned 10-mule team Borax for removing odor. Add it to the wash water before filling the machine so that it will dissolve.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM

do not forget good old fashioned 10-mule team Borax for removing odor. Add it to the wash water before filling the machine so that it will dissolve. Oh, I forgot, if you are doing a quilt for someone else, ANY commercial smell you add to the fabric may trigger an allergy attach, asthma, there are many more people out there with respiratory problems that we realize.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM

I have older pets and the old-dog smell is almost as bad as cigarettes. I use Borax power (laundry-detergent booster and deoderizer) and white vinegar for ALL my laundry. A quick sniff test before I remove anything from the machine tells me if I need to run the load through a second time. Works like a champ.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 PM

I don't know how chilly it gets there, but here I like to hang things out when it freezes & that usually does it. I don't even have to wash it.
Greeter Eva
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

oxyclean diluted in water in the wash will get the smell out, then drier sheets in the low tumble dry will work.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM

For tough oders...I use a product called odorban. You can buy it at any Sma's club. It comes in a gallon size bottle and it is concentrated. I use a very small amount in the wash along with my regular detergant and it get rid of all types of odors.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by PBCHRETIEN
For tough oders...I use a product called odorban. You can buy it at any Sma's club. It comes in a gallon size bottle and it is concentrated. I use a very small amount in the wash along with my regular detergant and it get rid of all types of odors.
I have used that. I just love the smell.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Years ago I had some towels mildew. My sister gave me a hint that I've used to get all kinds of odors out of things (even cigarette smoke.)

Mix baking soda & hydrogen peroxide in a cup to the thickness of peanut butter. Add this to your laundry before you start the water.( Put spoon fulls of the mixture all around & on top of the clothes.) As the water is filling up the mixture is still having a chemical reaction. The amount of time to fill the machine with water is just right.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM

I use Febreze for Laundry. It is not the same as the spray. I have only been able to locate it at K-Mart but it takes the worst smells out of fabric. I don't use the spray on a quilt as I found out some people are allergic to the scent.