Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snail Trial Block Resizing >

Snail Trial Block Resizing

Snail Trial Block Resizing

Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
QuiltnNan, that's what I did in EQ and the block came out 9.5 size for the snail trail. The kitty body came out almost okay but the section between the ears was incorrect, easily fixed though.
do you mean 9.5 after sewing, or the printout? depending on your version of EQ, when printing, you may have to input your desired size or check "size from quilt". i've never had a block come out the wrong size since version 4... i have 7 now
Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Snooze....how did you get a block to print out at 9.5 inches in EQ??? Granted, I have EQ5 but it is giving me fits trying to do this with another pattern (hunter's star). Trying to paper piece that block. Have it drawn in EQ; have the block dimensions at 9.5 in all the places I can find in all the dialog boxes and the stupid thing still prints out as a 6" block! Grrr. Any hints or clues as to printing a 9" (finished) block would be greatly appreciated.
when you print a block, make sure that the finished size appears in the size box before proceeding
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
when you print a block, make sure that the finished size appears in the size box before proceeding
Nan, thanks. I thought I had done that but apparently not. When I just tried again, it was finally correct. It prints over 2 pages, of course, so I might have to export that to some other software so I can copy/paste the 2 sections and have each section print on one page.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 AM

My cat body block came out fine and I've already cut all 80 fabrics to those sizes so that's not a choice for me. Dummy me should have waited till I got both blocks figured out. Will be trying the dimensions from the Kool Kat pattern and see if it comes out correctly.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 AM

NJ, I printed out the rotary cutting instructions, not the PP ones those PP the snail trails might have been easier for me. Just thought it too much paper to use up though only need 20 snail trail blocks.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:49 AM

Dunster, thanks for the tip when printing. I just checked my original printouts and yes, they were for a finished 9.0 block. Don't know how that happened as the kat body block came out at 8.0 finished. Still the section between the ears was incorrect but again easily corrected. Just printed out the correct snail trail size rotary cutting measurements. Now I can move forward. I knew you folks would have the answers for me and I learned something new for EQ.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Quiltnan, just found out when I go to print that I need to make sure it still says 8.0 for size. Never noticed that before. Great tip so thank you.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Peckish, after figuring out what I did wrong in EQ and finally getting the correct dimensions I decided to go with paper piecing. Since I was using 80 different fabrics, I didn't want to waste so much fabric with the cutting directions for some of them cutting diagonally once or even twice wasting half or 3/4 of the square. I found I could cut 2 size pieces, cut them once diagonally, use the extra for the next size down and just cut them down a little. Lot less waste of fabric. Thanks all for your help on this and giving me tips on how to use EQ more efficiently.