Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Snails Trails and Stars Quilt

Blog Entries

Snails Trails and Stars Quilt

Looking for a quilt pattern to use for my GD's wedding quilt. I really like this quilt and am wondering if you know where I may purchase the pattern and directions. Also, have any of you made this quilt and how does it look with multiple colors? Thank you for your help. (Not sure what the "real" name of this quilt is.)

Name:  snail trails and stars.jpg
Views: 3206
Size:  17.6 KB

Blog Entries
    It's in a book by Judy Martin. Also know as Shakespeare in the Park.

http://www.judymartin.com/products.c...prod=6&CatID=1

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Cute pattern!

Blog Entries
    Of course, Katie. I am so forgetful. Thank you for helping me out.

Blog Entries

I thought I saw this on F&P website done in lots of bright colors. Yes I found it. Love of Quilting July/August 2005. Quilt was called Jewel of the Prairie by Judy Martin made with batiks.

Digital pattern on sale:
    https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pr...digital-issue/
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

This post and all the links sent me down an internet rabbit hole that has taken up almost an hour! What a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

Love this pattern. I've just put it on my "things I'd like to do someday" list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I thought I saw this on F&P website done in lots of bright colors. Yes I found it. Love of Quilting July/August 2005. Quilt was called Jewel of the Prairie by Judy Martin made with batiks.

Digital pattern on sale:
    https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pr...digital-issue/
    ManiacQuilter2: Thank you so much for this information. Ordered the digital download of the issue for $2.99 with pattern and instructions. Couldn't be better.

Didn't you show a log cabin w blk bkgrd for your daughters wedding gift? Two daughters? Just curious.....either would be beautiful

My post about this pattern was deleted....I have judy martin's book, and I am trying to draw this on EQ so I can play with the colors before making it. My post had a screenshot of my drawing and a link to judy's pattern....not sure why it was deleted, but if anyone can help me figure out how to draw the small star/ triangle pieces, that would be great! I can play with colors with what I have drawn, just hoping to learn a little more about the EQ 5 program....hopefully this isn't breaking the rules......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Didn't you show a log cabin w blk bkgrd for your daughters wedding gift? Two daughters? Just curious.....either would be beautiful
    Same granddaughter. Not sure which quilt to make. Love them both.

On Pinterest, I absolutely loved the Shakespeare one made of 30's repro fabrics, soft, delicate but beautifully blended.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Really like the pattern too! Thanks for sharing the links.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

The conservative, non-daring person I am, I love the colors as they are. So rich with movement. Absolutely beautiful.
    Hello from Shenandoah Valley, VA. Quilting a few years. Love the process of creating the quilt top, but don't like making the sandwich of top, batting and backing as much. We have two Labrador Retrievers, a yellow and a chocolate. Blessings to all!

I love this pattern. Bought the book to make it and have been collecting blues and whites to make it scrappy. It's on the bucket list. Have to make a baby quilt for DGS due to arrive this week, Lord willing!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Never would have thought of putting these two blocks together, How cute is this?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
    Looking for a quilt pattern to use for my GD's wedding quilt. I really like this quilt and am wondering if you know where I may purchase the pattern and directions. Also, have any of you made this quilt and how does it look with multiple colors? Thank you for your help. (Not sure what the "real" name of this quilt is.)

Name:  snail trails and stars.jpg
Views: 3206
Size:  17.6 KB
    I do believe this pattern is either the Judy Martin Shakespeare or the Fons and Porter quilt. I think that the thing that makes this quilt pictured more interesting is the way the blues are placed in the 'snails' block. It creates an illusion of an alternate friendship star along with the obvious 'star' block. Just my observation.
    Marcia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marciacp View Post
    I do believe this pattern is either the Judy Martin Shakespeare or the Fons and Porter quilt. I think that the thing that makes this quilt pictured more interesting is the way the blues are placed in the 'snails' block. It creates an illusion of an alternate friendship star along with the obvious 'star' block. Just my observation.
    Marcia
    Marcia! I agree. Love these colors. However, I searched this pattern out on Pinterest and found one done in colors that I love too. The colors, I believe, would be more appropriate for a wedding gift as it is modern with a traditional touch. Thank you for your input. Yolanda

She also has one that is the same layout, but the star blocks are all different. Its called Virginia Star Sampler and its in a book called Knockout Blocks and Sampler quilts. There are MANY quilts in that book that are on my Bucket list!

This one was done by Fabaddict here on the QB that I saved because of her color choices.Of course I still have it in the folder and not even in stage of making it yet!LOL!
    Shakespeare in Rainbow Park

I forgot to add on page 7 of the link I gave above is another link to a blog with step by step posting,but need to include the book/pattern for key step.
    Last edited by Jitterbug; 01-05-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add note

Shakespear in the park

I made it this summer. Not real happy with some of my fabric choices. Too much blue in my light fabrics. Haven't quilted it yet, not quite sure how.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, I think it's lovely! As for quilting, I'd think some kind of all over design so as not to detract from the piecing. I'd probably want to send it out for quilting if it were mine. It's special!