Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snaps >

Snaps

Snaps

Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 AM

When you use magnetic snaps does it matter to you which part goes in the front or back of the bag you are making? Especially if it is for someone who is buying it from you?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:28 AM

I don't usual worry about which is on front or back if it holds the top of the bag together. If the snap is on a flap I tend to put the male side on the flap and the female side on the bag.
FYI- I cut a round of plastic from milk jug or top of oatmeal box to put over the prongs with the metal disc that comes with the snaps. I make it a little bigger than the metal disc and think it gives more support (and it's washable).

Pat
Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 AM

Has anyone had any problem with them pulling out of the fabric? I put one in a tote last week and when I tried opening it the snap came right out of the fabric leaving a hole. I had to get very creative to fix that. Perhaps I am not using them correctly. Would someone give me a quick lesson. No instructions were with the ones I bought. They do come with a small washer--where does it go? Thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 AM

I put a snap on one of the bags I made for my Mom. She hated it. Those snaps are strong and she had a hard time getting it open and not ripping the fabric. The only way she could get it open was by sticking her fingernail in between the two pieces and slowly pulling a part. Tore her finger up. I did use a stiff support behind the snaps but it was still alot of pull on the fabric. I ended up taking the bag part way apart and removing the snaps. Did a very small zig zag across the holes and putting a button on. She likes it so much better.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
I put a snap on one of the bags I made for my Mom. She hated it. Those snaps are strong and she had a hard time getting it open and not ripping the fabric. The only way she could get it open was by sticking her fingernail in between the two pieces and slowly pulling a part. Tore her finger up. I did use a stiff support behind the snaps but it was still alot of pull on the fabric. I ended up taking the bag part way apart and removing the snaps. Did a very small zig zag across the holes and putting a button on. She likes it so much better.
My mother had a similar problem so I put a thin band of fabric around the inside, covering the snap pieces. The bag still 'snapped' closed, but with fabric between the 2 pieces, Mom could open it easily.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
I don't usual worry about which is on front or back if it holds the top of the bag together. If the snap is on a flap I tend to put the male side on the flap and the female side on the bag.
FYI- I cut a round of plastic from milk jug or top of oatmeal box to put over the prongs with the metal disc that comes with the snaps. I make it a little bigger than the metal disc and think it gives more support (and it's washable).

Pat
Great idea Pat. I'll try that! My mom hates using velcro so instead, I put gripper snaps onto my purse insert, added grosgrain ribbon to the purse for something to snap too and plastic rings for her to hold as she pulls the snap apart. Worked great.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple

Pat
Pat, That is a great tip. Thanks so much!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM

when I put in the snaps-
1- mark spot on fabric using metal disc. I use a pencil or chalk and mark the 2 lines.
2- cut on marks to make the 2 openings
3- snap prongs go thru right side of fabric
4- plastic (or some use cardboard) circle with slits cut in goes over prongs on wrong side. Metal disc goes over prongs after plastic.
5- Bend prongs toward middle of snap area. Some bend the prongs away from the snap area but I've found the other way better. I usually use the handle of my scissors or rotary cutter to bend the prongs and then push them flat on the table to flatten as much as possible.
6- apply the other half of the snap the same way.

If you have trouble getting the snaps open, I've seen people make a little fabric pocket and putting the snap parts in the pockets and sewing that into the lining. I haven't tried this. Another solution to decrease the pull is to cover the snap with clear nail polish.

Hope this helps

Pat