Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Snow Bird

Time is quickly coming to head south for the rest of winter. I'm always confused on what to take with me as far as quilting supplies. I do have a few of the basics at each house - rotary cutter, mats, sewing machine - but I want to take all my fabric and my stash keeps growing! I have my favorite rulers that have to go also.
    Anyone have any helpful tips?

Blog Entries
    Are you driving or flying?

driving a midsize car

rent the small tow trailer...consider it a suitcase on wheels grande style.

If you are going to be gone a specific amount of time, can you pre-plan your projects, take what is needed to make them and then only "some" of the stash that can be used for the impulse sewing moments.

Find another quilt store & get stash for the winter place too.
    (haha)

Bring kits or planned projects in extra large plastic bags with the fabric and pattern. You'll be set to work and get a finished project to boot. I also like the idea of finding a lqs too!!

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    If you are going to be gone a specific amount of time, can you pre-plan your projects, take what is needed to make them and then only "some" of the stash that can be used for the impulse sewing moments.
    When I am going on retreat, I take specific fabrics and quilt plans. I think if I were migrating, as you do, I would do some pre-planning of quilts, some stash building in both places, especially with basic tone on tone fabrics, and some planned shopping. My guild members who migrate often come home with fabrics that are completely different than what we've seen here. Some of them are members of 2 guilds, so they are working on guild projects in both places.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H
    Time is quickly coming to head south for the rest of winter. I'm always confused on what to take with me as far as quilting supplies. I do have a few of the basics at each house - rotary cutter, mats, sewing machine - but I want to take all my fabric and my stash keeps growing! I have my favorite rulers that have to go also.
    Anyone have any helpful tips?
    Take only one project you're about to finish & it'll give you an excuse to check out the LQS's in the area you stay at! :twisted:

Blog Entries
    This is our 1st time to snowbird & I wanted to take everything! I'm taking 5-6 UFos, some stash, several different rulers, some kits, and some Harbour Freight blades for a couple rotary cutters. If I forgot anything, there is always the lqs. I an still traveling, but dh asked if it was ok to spend a wk ot longer in Tucson. As yet I havent had time to do any sewing & I am having withdrawal symptoms. We got a toy hauler just so I would have my sewing room! Have fun!

I try to take labor intensive projects - ones with small pieces that will keep me busy for a long time without bringing a large amount of fabric.

If it were me I would take the cutter, mat, scissors, etc and "claim" to have forgotten the material for a certain project! That's the way I roll :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    I would make up kits and put them in plastic boxes...then if something else strikes, go to local quilt shop, call it an emergency :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Boy i wish i had that problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Boy i wish i had that problem.
    Me too!!

We do the opposite, live in FL and go north for summer. I keep an extra set of favorite rulers and a cutting mat in the rv in NJ. I put together "kits" of a cpl projects so I have a variety of things to do. I usually check out Quilt University.com and often take an online course, which means hitting the local quilt shop. I don't leave anything in the rv that can rust or get moldy. By the time we get there, the warm weather is there too. Plastic bins from $ store are great for keeping all the pieces together. Have fun and be warm.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina_D
    (haha)
    ooh that's the best idea ever!!!

Blog Entries
    Pre-cut quilt kits for yourself so you don't have to bring your entire stash. Pre-baste a sandwich so you can machine quilt also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_D
    (haha)
    this is what I would do! :)

Just go ahead an move to FL. full-time,lol!!! Everyone seems to have given you really great advise of pre-planning your projects. What part of FL. are you going to be staying in?

Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Just go ahead an move to FL. full-time,lol!!! Everyone seems to have given you really great advise of pre-planning your projects. What part of FL. are you going to be staying in?
    I'm actually going to Texas. I could never stand the heat in the summer to stay there year round. lol

Yes, I did get a lot of good advice. Thanks, everyone!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Whoa, find the middle.....right here in Louisiana!

It gets a little hot (low 100's in August) and kinda muggy (some call it humid) but it's a fun place (think Mardi Gras), has the best food (gumbo, jambalaya, seafood and steaks) and great culture (geaux Cajuns)......and I'm here!

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
    Whoa, find the middle.....right here in Louisiana!

It gets a little hot (low 100's in August) and kinda muggy (some call it humid) but it's a fun place (think Mardi Gras), has the best food (gumbo, jambalaya, seafood and steaks) and great culture (geaux Cajuns)......and I'm here!
    I've never been there but maybe later this winter we'll take a trip to New Orleans. Love that Cajun food!

I travel 250 miles to take care of my mom for two weeks every month. I take projects in the large blue ziplock bags with handles. I include thread, pattern, fabrics etc. For winter I have a quilt I am doing lap quilting on. For summer I have a top that I am hand piecing. I take my sewing machine and have a nice bag that holds a mat and rulers and other quilting supplies.
    The handwork I can visit with mom and do something. When she naps and goes to bed early I do projects on the machine.
    Sometimes I get a lot done others times I don't even get to use my machine. Depends on how she is doing.

What a great daughter you are. You sound very organized too.