Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow Birds- or others who are gone for long periods >

Snow Birds- or others who are gone for long periods

Snow Birds- or others who are gone for long periods

Old 11-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
We've had a rash of Berninas with dead power circuit boards. And the one thing they all had in common was they hadn't been used for 9 months to 3 years. These have all been Bernina 220 or 230 models that are about 8 to 10 years old. That's interesting what Tom W said about taking 20 minutes to turn on. I'll have to try that on the next one that comes into the shop.
Your comment reminds me of the old 286 upwards pcs we had 20 years ago when I first got into computing and studied IT - power supplies were very delicate back then and could die if they were switched on and off too often (early computers were left on all the time because the shock of switching could kill them!) We did not dare to shake or drop them but were easily replaced on the old desktops. When I got my first computerized sewing and embroidering machine I couldn't believe how many circuit boards were inside and the main board did actually need replacing once. Technology is like magic, it keeps advancing and changing, but not so easy to replace bits and pieces on laptops.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:54 PM

We are in FL for seven months and Maine for five. I have twin Featherweights, one in both places and twin domestic machines, also one in both places. We do leave the air and humidistat on the recommended levels when we go up north. Our daughter babysits the Maine machines partly because then I don't have to worry about them. Having two setups makes so much sense if you can do that.

Last edited by lots2do; 11-17-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't have any machines that are computerized. My main two machines are straight stitch only.
If it were me I would only leave a simple machine for that situation.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:48 AM

I was told as long as you let it sit at room temperture to warm up there is no problem.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:54 AM

Have and love a Bernina 1630 - computerized. An oldie goldie. Before it came into my hands it sat in a box, in a friend's sewing room, unused, for at least 4 years. It had belonged to a Canadian quilter who left it when she went home.

Before I bought it we plugged it in and checked to see its status. I wanted to do some embroidery on a quilt and so checked to see that the computer and file storage was functional. It turned on immediately and sewed well. Took it to a Bernina dealer for a once over and the best they could do was lube and clean it for me. Their tech did not know anything about that model and didn't have the service book for it. Of two minds about that but the machine wasn't damaged by someone making stuff up as they went, etc. just know that with an older machine that can be an issue.

The bottom line of that sad story is to tell you that the machine got back from the dealer and permanently moved onto the left side of my sewing center . She and I sew. She purrs and stitches perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Note: the 1630 has quite a number of the capabilities that the current top of the line machines have. HUGE, GARGANTUAN difference in price.