Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So excited going on my first quilt retreat >

So excited going on my first quilt retreat

So excited going on my first quilt retreat

Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM

I am going on my own but there will be other quilters there. I am not shy and so have no worries about being alone. It sounds like everyone of you have enjoyed your retreats.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM

I have never been on a retreat, just day courses. I'm sure you will enjoy this, I feel quite envious. Happy birthday (what a lovely surprise this gift must have been)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM

Have fun. I am going to a class retreat in Sept at Lake Tahoe. It sounds like fun.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 PM

What a great and thoughtful gift!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 PM

What a gift! You get to look forward to it, drag it out over days, accomplish more than just turning a year older (ha!) AND look back on it fondly. Sweet. Kudoes to your family. I don't know how they knew unless you had mentioned it?? I can never count on my family knowing what I want unless I tell them straight out.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

This came as a complete surprise I had never mentioned going on a quilt retreat we don't have many places in the UK that holds them. I cried tears of happiness when I received it. My daughter had even bought me a half metre of fabric from each member of her family so I could make a quilt with a little bit of each of them in it. My family usually get me nice gifts but never quilt related unless I have specifically asked for something. I have the whole day to myself tomorrow to pack everything up. Thanks for all your good wishes.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 PM

Good for you!! How exciting! I LOVE quilt retreats, they're my favorite holiday. I've been on several, and IMO, the non-teaching, do-what-you-want, sit & sew kind are the most fun.

My best advice is to take a project that is already cut out. Having to wait your turn for a cutting board is a drag, especially if the person in front of you is cutting her project out.

Here's a packing checklist from my group, I hope it helps.

https://xa.yimg.com/df/quiltabotics/...&type=download

Last edited by Peckish; 07-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 PM

That is so awesome! I am really envious! I would LOVE to go on a quilt retreat but unfortunately I haven't been able to find any. I don't think they do them here in South Africa besides once in a blue moon. I'm sure you are going to absolutely love it! Your family is so thoughtful! Enjoy
Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 AM

Thanks Peckish I will be doing a lot of my cutting on my Sizzix machine as I plan to make a chevron quilt. I am taking three projects so I don't get bored just doing the same thing. I know I will be the only quilter on Friday evening so will probably do some cutting then. Thanks for the link, I couldn't get it to work but it gave me the idea to google lists and I found several helpful sites, I had made a list so it was reassuring to check I had everything. I had missed off my seam ripper, obviously I am optimistic I won't need it lol.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:46 AM

My guild has two retreats each year, spring and fall. I adore my time away from the normal routines of my work and family life. I precut just one project and when I arrive I have 2.5 days of sewing bliss. I generally leave a nearly finished quilt. Often all but the binding. I also leave with new friends, new ideas and a very happy tummy, good food. We all bring our own projects and quilt from dawn to well past dark. Some to to a very nice local quilt shop that is about 20 minutes away while others stay behind and continue to happily toil away on our project.

Enjoy your retreat, you will be back again and again and again.