Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so excited--kids quilting!! >

so excited--kids quilting!!

so excited--kids quilting!!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

That is wonderful! I love to hear stories like this. The youngest member of our little church group is my sister, (62). Thanks for telling us this beautiful story.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:30 AM

What a great idea...I hope you have a great turnout for the June camp.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 AM

Lovely idea teaching kids sewing! I was a the seventh grade sewing teacher at a private girls school for a year. It was great experience for me and for the girls! I did everything I could to make it fun and I think it paid off. Several of the girls came to me at the end of the year and told me it was their best subject. Now I have my one year old daughter loving anything related with sewing! She will dig through my stash of scraps, play with thread and even plays with an old Singer sewing machine I have (I took the needle out.) I liturally cannot turn on my sewing machine without her running over to me to "help". It can be trying, but I know she loves quilting with me. My DH says she will probably be making her first quilt by the age of four. I'd be one proud Mamma if she did
Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 AM

Who needs for the group to decide to help kids learn? I don't have a guild, but I have a neighbor who takes in foster kids. I invited the 13 year old to come over once a week for a free sewing lesson. She has learned to use an older back-up machine by completing a couple of pin cushions, a 4-patch notebook cover, a needle book and a dress. We are planning on starting her first quilt this week. We have chosen this free pattern:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/554646510343153945/

This girl has some natural ability. I am doing my best to see it developed.
Instead of waiting for a guild to vote on helping young people obtain skills perhaps we could each teach a grandchild or neighbor or someone from our church. Each one teach one!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 AM

This girl has some natural ability. I am doing my best to see it developed.
Instead of waiting for a guild to vote on helping young people obtain skills perhaps we could each teach a grandchild or neighbor or someone from our church. Each one teach one![/QUOTE]

This is an awesome thing for you to do! I bet it's something that no matter where she ends up in life it will be a special memory for her.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post

I'd like some suggestions from others on how to get young women (men??) involved in sewing and quilting--I'm talking 20-30 year olds. Many have not learned to sew in school and may not have family members that sew. My guild tries to make our sew days on Sat. to help those that work outside the home (or have young kids and need someone else to watch). I see lots of blogs with young women quilters--but how to get new sewers? We offer 7weeks of beginner classes (end up with a sampler that teaches everything except Y seams and PP--we do get a few via that but they all seem so busy and pulled in 3 different directions--how to other guilds counter that?
I'm not involved with a guild that does that but I know a lot of people in their 20's. A 7-week class is a huge commitment. I would think one day or two day workshops would be better. You also need projects that appeal to that age group - I'm thinking pillows, tote bags, ipad covers. Also, the samples should use colors that are popular with that age group. The modern quilting movement uses a solids and lots of open space on quilt. Look at the color combinations used for babies right now for ideas of colors.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Great job! It is a wonderful thing.