Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Excited and Soooo Nervous >

So Excited and Soooo Nervous

So Excited and Soooo Nervous

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Good for you. Get there early to set up your machine. Take the machine that you're most comfortable with and gives you the least amount of problems. Take everything with you that you normally use when quilting; seam ripper, clippers, extra machine needles, extra bobbin, extra thread. And most inportant sit in the front of the class; you want to get a much help from the instructor as you can and a clear view of what she's doing. But mostly don't be intimidated - if everyone else knew how to do the pattern they wouldn't be there.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Stand tall, throw your shoulders back, be confident, toss your supplies in a grocery bag, wear something loose and comfy. Your attitude is everything.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:14 PM

I didn't know one had to dress appropriately( quilted clothing) & carry the right accessories( quilted tote) to take a quilting class. ;)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM

First, Take a deep breath, stop obsessing, don't worry about the bag you use to take things to class, dress comfortably, use old dependable machine but above all enjoy meeting new quilting friends, enjoy learning a new techique and maybe find a new techinque you just love and were afraid to try before being brave enough to take a class. Don't forget to give yourself a big pat on the back for being courageous enough to try. :-D :-D :-D
Old 09-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Have fun Krystyna and learn all you can and then come back and share with all of us! LOL!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I just signed up for my first ever quilting class to learn the New York Beauty block. Nothing like diving in head first. Should I sit in the back and try to hide my utter lack of skill and just pick up what I can? Ohhhhh. What have I gotten myself into? :shock:

Yikes! What should I wear? I don't have anything quilty looking!

And what should I bring my stuff in? Arghhhh! No quilty looking bag.

Should I bring my "good" machine or my plain jane old faithful?
Dress in something confortable. I usually wear jeans/pants and t-shirt and shoes I can slip off as I sew barefoot.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM

I would take the lightest machine that you have- all you need is straight stitching. I took a class to learn New York Beauty and it is easy after you do the first one.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

There is no reason to be nervous. Relax and go have fun. The pattern is a beauty. And who knows, you just might meet some new friends!!! :)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Take the machine you are most comfortable with. Wear whatever you like. Make sure you take a "potty-break" because you will probably laugh a lot! Have fun! I have never taken a class that wasn't fun!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I just signed up for my first ever quilting class to learn the New York Beauty block. Nothing like diving in head first. Should I sit in the back and try to hide my utter lack of skill and just pick up what I can? Ohhhhh. What have I gotten myself into? :shock:

Yikes! What should I wear? I don't have anything quilty looking!

And what should I bring my stuff in? Arghhhh! No quilty looking bag.

Should I bring my "good" machine or my plain jane old faithful?
Krystyna just relax and dress comfortably and take the machine that you are most comfortable in using and use that machine all through making that quilt... Changing machines for a quilt especially if you are doing blocks it can make a difference in the size of blocks... The operative word here is It can ( make a difference)...