Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So frustrated with my Bernina 830!  Looking for recommendations for replacement >

So frustrated with my Bernina 830! Looking for recommendations for replacement

So frustrated with my Bernina 830! Looking for recommendations for replacement

Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Ellen Lowry View Post
I purchased a Bernina 830 about 3 years ago with some inheritance $$$ from my mother, who instilled my love for sewing. I have been sooo disappointed! Due to my schedule since her death, I have had more limited sewing time (used to sew everyday for stress relief). EVERY TIME I sit down to do anything on this machine it takes me 1-3 hrs to get it to sew correctly and it seems to be that it just has to decide for itself when it is ready to work because what I do to fix it one day does not work the next. Yesterday I spent all day trying to get it to work and it never did. I have had it to the shop several times and it always sews fine there, but I get it home and it is a completely different story. I have tried different thread, needles, stabilizers, everything with no luck. I am DONE with this machine! I need a machine that I can sit down and sew or embroider that works when I sit down. This Bernina has made me dread sewing....something that I NEVER thought possible! Please give me some recommendations for sewing/embroidery machines. I want a larger throat and something that will accommodate a larger embroidery hoop. Thanks so much!
Is your machine sitting level? If not then it will not work right. These 830's MUST be level. It also must be on a very sturdy table, as they vibrate a lot. Does your bobbin have any of the silver worn off? If so it won't work or will throw the machine off. The 830's is "Sewing computers". I've had a few issues with mine, but got the bugs worked out. I use my machine a lot. A tiny piece of thread stuck where it shouldn't be will throw it off & cause major issues. When I took mine in for service I sat with the tech. There were times it'd sew great for him, but once home back to the same problems. The next time they set it up on a table in their class room & the tech sewed on it & then I sewed on it. Yep it did all the things I had trouble with at home. So one of the ladies tried & she too had trouble. Upon further inspection...totally ripping the whole machine apart, the tech found a tiny piece of thread had somehow worked it's way into the right side of the machine & wrapped around a sort of wheel thing that tells the machine to change needle position, cut the thread, etc. I kept getting the "geasrs of death, warnings the thread was broke when it wasn't, needle would stitch up & down in place real fast, etc. No idea how that thread got in there, as it's a closed off area under the main steel plate, but once out it now works great.

I'd suggest calling your dealer & set up a day to spend the whole a day at your dealer. Have a few different people sew on it, thread, it, do embroidery, etc & see if any of the issues you have show up. INSIST they fix it.

Last edited by Feather3; 04-12-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Mary Ellen Lowry;7519499]I purchased a Bernina 830 about 3 years ago with some inheritance $$$ from my mother, who instilled my love for sewing. I have been sooo disappointed!

I've not owned the Bernina 830 but my SIL bought one about a year after I purchased a Brother Quattro. Her machine was always giving her problems & she had it in the shop many times. About 5 years after buying the 830, she had had enough & purchased the new Babylock Destiny & just loves it. In the 7 years I have had my Quattro, I've only had it into the dealer for repairs once. I thought about trading her in for a new Brother Dream or Babylock Destiny (virtually same machine), but just couldn't justify the price, even with trade-in. I'm embarrassed to say that I've yet to explore all my Quattro has to offer and I do love my machine, so I just don't need all the new bells & whistles (even tho I'd like to play with them)! Good luck with whatever machine you decide to go with!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:31 AM

I am so sorry you are having problems with your machine. That can turn sewing into a job instead of relaxing. I know nothing about your machine. I have Janomes and I love them. first Janome I have had for about 14 years. Never had any problems at all. I have never taken it in to the shop. I do all the up keep myself, not that it needs much. My second Janome (P6600) I have had only about 3 years and haven't done a lot of sewing lately but have had no problems with it. Check out the Janomes. Very user friendly. Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:28 PM

You should go to a Brothers dealer and check out their machines. I have had 4 different ones and couldn't have been happier. Easy to use and fabulous stitching. Don't know where you are but you can't go wrong with a Brothers machine. Our dealer here in NM is absolutely amazing!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
I am so sorry you are having problems with your machine. That can turn sewing into a job instead of relaxing. I know nothing about your machine. I have Janomes and I love them. first Janome I have had for about 14 years. Never had any problems at all. I have never taken it in to the shop. I do all the up keep myself, not that it needs much. My second Janome (P6600) I have had only about 3 years and haven't done a lot of sewing lately but have had no problems with it. Check out the Janomes. Very user friendly. Good Luck.
I agree. I have gone through a Viking Designer 1, a Pfaff 2056 (?), and now own a Janome 8900. I am very happy with it. I do have other machines for taking to class, but my Janome is my home machine and I love it.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM

I had a 830 but by the time it went up to Chicago I was fed up with. My dealer gave me an even trade for a 550. I love it she even gave me the tray for it also.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 PM

I'm interested in whether or not you took the guide classes and followed what they said. I have had 2 Berninas (1630 and 180 which is my current Bernina) and you do have to do what they say and be diligent about cleaning the bobbin area and changing needles. I never had any problems with thread on mine but sometimes did have to make some tensions adjustments for specialty threads and have a spare bobbin case so that I can use one when I need to adjust the bobbin tension.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 AM

I have the old Bernina 180. It is a wonderful machine, but limited in the new size hoops and technology. Embroiders and sews perfectly. The newer ones just aren't as easy to use.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 AM

Wow, this is interesting to me. I have two old Berninas and they are workhorses. Sounds like the newer Berninas aren't made like the old ones. Sorry to hear that although I expect my two old machines will see me through the remainder of my sewing days.