Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: So frustrated! Why wont my machine do freemotion correctly

Dee
    Tension, machine threading, right needle.

I have a Viking but was having the same trouble. Like you I tried threading annd rethreading. I don't remember why, but I raised the spool holder that holds my spool of thread from horizontal to vertical - and now it's perfect. I just have to remember to always have it vertical when I do FMQ. Does yours swivel or can you put it vertical? Just another simple thought.. Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by no time 2 sew
    I was told that a machine with a drop in bobbin just can't do FMQ.
    I think they told you wrong. :) There are some machines that are definitely better at FMQ than others and generally, a vertical bobbin will handle it better than a horizontal bobbin.

But, I quilted my first pieced quilts on a 401 - a slant needle with a drop-in bobbin. I quilted my first whole cloth quilts on a Singer Golden Touch & Sew 750 (drop-in, wind-in-place bobbin) twenty years ago - I didn't even know that what I was doing was free-motion quilting or that I was making a whole-cloth quilt! I thought I was just making crib comforters. :D

Lots of people use modern computerized machines with drop-in bobbins for FMQ, so be encouraged.

Get the proper foot for it and give it a try - maybe your machine isn't the best there is at FMQ, but I don't remember ever hearing about any model that *cannot* FMQ.

Might be interesting to find out which machines those are. :)

Thanks for the info. Since the machine that I was trying to FMQ on was fried by the lighting strike, I have purchased a new Brother 1500, and intrestingly it came with 2, bobbin cases, haven't had time to give it a go but when I do I hope it works.

I just found a good deal on a "white" sewing mahine and bought it to use as both a backup and for fmg. Great machine and in great shape, I need to take time and find a foot for it. The bobbin does sit vertically so that sounds good. I just need to get the foot, practice and pray. I have no experience w fmg whatsoever. Yikes! This is an interesting post, Thank you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4