Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So I had one of those days yet again! >

So I had one of those days yet again!

So I had one of those days yet again!

Old 07-06-2023, 11:06 PM

Default So I had one of those days yet again!

I swear, I think the stars and planets are suddenly working against me. After I put the borders on my sister's and niece's quilts, I went through and cleaned my machine like I always do after a major project. I take the needle off, needle plate off, get down into the main section under the bobbin, pull out fluffs and tuffs of lint, everything is going great. I had to order some more thread, decided to go with Connecting Threads this time, so when I'm done cleaning out my machine, I put it back together, put in a new needle, rethread the machine with my Connecting Threads white and.....

Suddenly, I'm skipping stitches. I rethread the entire machine because I know my machine is squeaky clean, I even used my portable vacuum and a rechargeable air blower, pop the bobbin out, only to discover that it had a major crack in it, I'm thinking 'okay, there's the problem', so I get a new bobbin, thread that with the cracked bobbin's thread, rethread the bobbin, go to sew.....nope, still skipping stitches.

I rethread again...nope. I pop in a new needle....nope. Reclean the top of my machine with the air blower...nope. I even double checked on the needle size...nope. I'm getting frustrated but I'm also getting scared because I'm thinking something is wrong with my machine (and yes, I did check the tension and....nope). I get on Amazon, where I bought the thread originally, to find out the size of the thread because the sticker had fallen off weeks ago and I couldn't find it on the spool.

Long story short - right thread, right way to thread my machine, bobbin is correct.....wrong size needle. I swear I had the right sized needle, so I double check my stash, I accidentally grabbed the wrong size and didn't even think twice about it. I put the new needle in, adjust the tension back to where I had it...perfect, beautiful stitches.

Palm to the forehead and a good giggle, too.

This wouldn't be so bad, but I am in the process of auditioning postage stamp blocks for a quilt for my other half and I, so I was in the process of trying to figure out if I want a true 1/4" seam or a scant, so every time I was running the strips through and finding skipped stitches, I was losing my cookies!

I am now in the process of finding all my spools that don't have any information on them, going onto Amazon to find out what size thread they are, then using a fine tipped Sharpie to write on the bottom of the spool what size needle I need to use for it.

Almost an entire afternoon lost because for one second, I didn't think to check myself when I grabbed my needles. The things we go through as quilters, sometimes!
Old 07-07-2023, 01:12 AM

Thank you for telling us your story. It will be a reminder to me to check my needle size to match the thread. I'm happy you figured it out before you took the machine in for a check up.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:04 AM

Oh My. So glad you found out the problem. Never thought about needle to thread. Great idea to mark the threads. Thanks. Happy Sewing.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:13 AM

Glad you figured it out. I have days when I'm halfway convinced that there are gremlins working mischief in my sewing room.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:42 AM

I’m glad you got it going again. I got my and my granddaughter’s going again too. Old as I am I was so happy I think I could try to cut a flip….well maybe not, but you know how happy I am and didn’t cost a thing.