Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So this looks very interesting if a bit expensive...

The price and weight would certainly deter me from buying!

Seems like way too much money for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if it will go through an 1" depth of fabric, what will do to your cutting mat? There is just not enough info on this product to date!

I have a friend that has a similar one that did a lot of production on puppets, jackets, hats, etc. so it was justified for them. I'm not sure that it would give the average quilter the exact cuts they are looking for. It would be interesting to play with for a while if someone wants to donate some fabric.

Sounds like an industrial tool. I wouldn't want one, for I'd ruin everything I tried to cut.

Im a gadget gal and i do love my gadgets but I won't spring for that. I don't do nearly enough cutting to justify purchasing that But it looks good for a quilt shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    if it will go through an 1" depth of fabric, what will do to your cutting mat? There is just not enough info on this product to date!
    It doesn't require a mat.

I love these for home dec sewing where there are extremely long cuts with many layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    And I thought $70 bucks for the Gingher rotary cutter was expensive! I'd definitely have to see a demo before I'd spring for that one!
    I did too and that is why I found one on Ebay for $20!!!!

Out of my budget. Sure is nice though

elm
    I'd like to see a video demo. Looks bulky. Wonder how it handles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    An auto sharpening rotary cutter that is motorized. It says it will cut fabric up to an inch in depth...I wonder how this would do with strip piecing...http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...ign=newsletter

no reviews on the site but has any one bought this and if so how does it relate to quilting?
    Looks good, BUT (and you know it's a BIG one). Who has used it, is it really light weight, does it really self sharpen (really good), what is the cost of running it day to day (elect., bats., etc....), what is the cost of replacement parts, etc....????? Is it worth it's price? Sorry just like a new car, I'm not buying the first year it comes out - too many BUGS still. And this little guy?? It looks cool and all, but I'm going to hold off on dropping that kind of money. Will be watching .

I have a difficult time enough using the regular rotarys, let alone something as this!! I'd have to pass. Maybe you would have better luck!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

This is a stationary cutter, isn't it? Mounted on a table? You move the fabric under the knife.
    Last edited by Christine-; 06-18-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I'd definitely have to see a video on how it works.
    Yeah, me too. I can't tell whether you move the fabric ubder it or use it like a traditional rotary cutter. Seams like with that much cutting power it would go right through a mat!

This would not work with rulers for cutting quilt pieces. It's meant for cutting out paper/cardstock type patterns...for clothing manufacturers, purse makers, etc., not practical for quilting.

My husband's Aunt used to have them for cutting out stacks of halter tops, bathing suits, shorts, etc., in their clothing manufacturing shop. They made stuff for Budwiser company (they lived in ST Louis).

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    An auto sharpening rotary cutter that is motorized. It says it will cut fabric up to an inch in depth...I wonder how this would do with strip piecing...http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...ign=newsletter

no reviews on the site but has any one bought this and if so how does it relate to quilting?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    And I thought $70 bucks for the Gingher rotary cutter was expensive! I'd definitely have to see a demo before I'd spring for that one!
    Is the Gingher rotary cutter better than the Olfa or Martelli? I think Gingher scissors are the best I have ever used. I have been looking at the rotary cutter but, so far, the price has convinced me that I can live without it. lol. I would be interested to hear the opinions of those who have used it. Is it worth the money?

Power Poster
    I bought a Gingher rotary cutter through e-bay for under $25.00. Sure glad I didn't pay any more than that for it.
    (I am fond of my Gingher scissors!)

I like my Olfas MUCH better. Plus it's easier to find Olfa or Fiskar blades. (Or Harbor Freight)

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will stick with my Olfa.

Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    Is the Gingher rotary cutter better than the Olfa or Martelli? I think Gingher scissors are the best I have ever used. I have been looking at the rotary cutter but, so far, the price has convinced me that I can live without it. lol. I would be interested to hear the opinions of those who have used it. Is it worth the money?
    I wouldn't pay full price for one. I got mine for half price at JoAnn's. I've had it almost two years and changed blades once. I also have a Martelli, some off brand and about 3 Fiskar rotary cutters. I only use the Gingher.

Wonder just how it works..been interesting to see if anyone has used it. Might be great to cut double layers of wool for braiding.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

I think I am happy cutting fabric with rotary since it is exercise! lol. I'm thinking if you have a store and want to expedite the cutting it might be helpful.
    :-)
    CAS

a fabric store might be worth it but at home I question it.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I was in a quilt shop in Tennessee a couple of months ago and they used one similiar to this to cut yardage. The owner said she got it at a trade show a few years back and it cost about $300. She said that they had figured out the cost of the mats and rotary blades they were going thru doing it the old way with a rotary cutter and that they have actually saved money by buying it. It was snazzy to see it in operation!

Hefty weight and price. Looks cumbersome too. Guess that won't be on my Christmas wish list. :-)
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2