Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So much for my math ... >

So much for my math ...

So much for my math ...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by bonnielass
12 by 12 inch block is 144 sq in block 6 by 6 inch block 36 square inches. 36times 4 equals 144. What you need to do is divide the design by 4 although you only are making 1/2 the length. I know this sounds confusing but it does work. I try to work the geometry out on graph paper before I remake a block.
You haven't read the whole thread.

And there's some accepted terminology used in quilting that you're not incorporating. And you can use all the graph paper you want but it's not going to prove your theory about dividing by 4.

When we say half the size, we're not talking about the area of the block (which is what you're calculating).

We are generally talking half the numerical value of the square's measurement - iow, half of 12 is 6. Pretty simple.

Yes, it's a quarter of the size in terms of area, but that's NOT how you re-calculate the size of the individual sub-units.

You calculate those by dividing the finished measurements of each sub-unit by 2.

A 4"x6" rectangle would be 2"x3" (I'm ignoring the addition of the seam allowance).

Ask any 3rd grader.

Let's say I have a 12" square FINISHED nine-patch block and I want to make a 6" square FINISHED nine-patch block .

Please explain how your math would accomplished this. What and where are you dividing by 4 to get a correctly sized 6" block ?????????

The OP was on the right track for the majority of blocks and obviously just made a miscalculation somewhere. Her method was not incorrect.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM

This is a good lesson---am bookmarking it for when this challenge comes up for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Always depends on the "finished" block factor. If you want a 6" finished block, devide the 12" block by 2 and add 1/2 inch. If you want it 5 3/4" then cut it to 6". Its always confusing, and if I am making a block with more than 6 pieces, it seems I always get one wrong.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK
Get out the graph paper and draw it out as a finished 6" block. Then measure the individual pieces and add your 1/4" seam allowances. Over the years I have found that true quarter inch graph paper is my best friend in the sewing room--well that and my seam ripper!
This is my tried and true method, also.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM

i just can't do it and since this is a hobby i don't try anymore.
if i can draw it out and graph it, i can resize it. if it's a template or a PP, i can enlarge on a copier. but if it has numbers, i can't do it and considering how many patterns there are to choose from, i refuse to make myself crazy.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM

<Let's say I have a 12" square FINISHED nine-patch block and I want to make a 6" square FINISHED nine-patch block .

Please explain how your math would accomplished this. What and where are you dividing by 4 to get a correctly sized 6" block ?????????>

9 equal sized patches to make a 6 inch block:

2.5 inches are needed to make EACH patch. Cut 9 of these 2.5 inch pieces.

Take some scraps and try it out.

Should sew into a perfect 12.5 inch block which becomes 12 inches FINISHED in the quilt top.

Susan
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by pasovasz
Originally Posted by MTS
<Let's say I have a 12" square FINISHED nine-patch block and I want to make a 6" square FINISHED nine-patch block .

Please explain how your math would accomplished this. What and where are you dividing by 4 to get a correctly sized 6" block ?????????>
9 equal sized patches to make a 6 inch block:

2.5 inches are needed to make EACH patch. Cut 9 of these 2.5 inch pieces.

Take some scraps and try it out.

Should sew into a perfect 12.5 inch block which becomes 12 inches FINISHED in the quilt top.
Susan
Jeez, does anyone even bother to read before posting?

Did that really read like I needed an explanation? 'Cause I didn't.

The question was not how to make a 6" 9Patch. It was how to...well, it's right there in my post - which was directed at a prior poster's incorrect information - which relates back to the first post of this thread.

@CompulsiveQuilter -
Which block specifically were you trying to reduce? You were definitely on the right track, despite some of the posts in this thread. ;-)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

<sigh>
Sometimes I wonder.
Yes, sometimes! :)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by calano1
Originally Posted by Yooper32
I am not even jumping in this mud puddle.
Yip, me too ... I'm sitting out this round ..... :D
Me too. I'm confused just reading it. Not to mention the claws are coming out.

:-D
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM

My mistake.

I should have ended with : Should sew into a 6.5 inch square so it is 6 inches as sewn into the quilt (not 12 inches as in my original post. Sorry.)