Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So sad :o(

The UPS guy just came to deliver my new sewing machine (xmas gift from hubby), but there were duty fees that could only be paid by cheque or credit card...well, hubby is at work and the cheque book and plastic are with him, I only have cash and my debit card for our joint account...I had to turn the man away and tell him I'd pick it up later at the depot. I closed the door and shed a few tears...I wanna play!!! :(

Blog Entries
    Oh my - that is so sad! I feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    Will be worth the extra wait - then you can "play" twice" as much! Merry Christmas

awe that is sad! Can you go to DH's work? lol

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    Will be worth the extra wait - then you can "play" twice" as much! Merry Christmas
    That is true! On the bright side, my order from Connecting Threads came today and I didn't have to send that one away! :D I'll have to start cutting so I can start playing with the two of them together when I can pick up my machine! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    That is true! On the bright side, my order from Connecting Threads came today and I didn't have to send that one away! :D I'll have to start cutting so I can start playing with the two of them together when I can pick up my machine! :lol:
    This is a great way to look at it :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Hard to believe it has come to a point where you can't pay with cash!! What is that about? Hope you get your new toy home soon!

So sorry. Why does this stuff happen?

Gosh -- sorry to hear that. But, check into your bank....I don't have credit cards and my debit card can be treated like a credit card....

Blog Entries
    Can't you run your debit card as a credit? Works for me. The credit union prefers that I use it that way.

I'm glad someone's order from Connecting Threads arrived. None of my cyber Monday purchases have arrived. Just an ebay purchase from Emerald City Fabrics in California. They are very prompt shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Can't you run your debit card as a credit? Works for me. The credit union prefers that I use it that way.

I'm glad someone's order from Connecting Threads arrived. None of my cyber Monday purchases have arrived. Just an ebay purchase from Emerald City Fabrics in California. They are very prompt shippers.
    Nope...doesn't work like that here.

My CT order isn't from Cyber Monday, though. Actually, I'd made an order and received it, but there was an error in the order. This delivery was my correct purchase.

oh, deema, my heart took a hit for you. nothing worse than that feeling that you finally got it, but, no, it slips away.

kind of like me chasing my dog around the neighborhood yesterday for almost an hour. i would get close enough to grab him and he would dart off. lol! i think he is part evil beast, even though he weighs only twenty pounds and leaps like a deer. love him anyway.

hope your gift comes back real soon.

Blog Entries
    oh no, I hope you can go to the depot tomorrow and pick it up, call and see what the hours are

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    oh no, I hope you can go to the depot tomorrow and pick it up, call and see what the hours are
    :lol: I already checked - I'll be there bright and early!!

[quote=deema]The UPS guy just came to deliver my new sewing machine (xmas gift from hubby), but there were duty fees that could only be paid by cheque or credit card...well, hubby is at work and the cheque book and plastic are with him, I only have cash and my debit card for our joint account...I had to turn the man away and tell him I'd pick it up later at the depot. I closed the door and shed a few tears...I wanna play!!! :([/quote

I can understand shedding a few tears. Let me ask you this, if someone were to send you a box of fabric, would you have to pay duty on it as well? If you order fabric from a store in the USA, must you pay duty on it also?

[quote=oma66]
    The UPS guy just came to deliver my new sewing machine (xmas gift from hubby), but there were duty fees that could only be paid by cheque or credit card...well, hubby is at work and the cheque book and plastic are with him, I only have cash and my debit card for our joint account...I had to turn the man away and tell him I'd pick it up later at the depot. I closed the door and shed a few tears...I wanna play!!! :([/quote

I can understand shedding a few tears. Let me ask you this, if someone were to send you a box of fabric, would you have to pay duty on it as well? If you order fabric from a store in the USA, must you pay duty on it also?
    It depends on the price of what's coming across the border - there's a number where you don't have to pay duty fees until you exceed it (don't know what that is, lol). Also it depends if it is a gift or a purchase. Typically, when I purchase fabric online, the store includes duty fees in the total purchase price, so it's taken care of, and if (for example) a friend sent me a huge box of fabric as a gift, I wouldn't be charged duties.

Even still, buying fabric online, paying for shipping AND duty fees is cheaper than buying locally, sadly.

Blog Entries
    I am curious too. Will watch this thread for an answer...

We must have replied at the same time - look just above your reply :)

[quote=deema]
    Quote Originally Posted by oma66
    The UPS guy just came to deliver my new sewing machine (xmas gift from hubby), but there were duty fees that could only be paid by cheque or credit card...well, hubby is at work and the cheque book and plastic are with him, I only have cash and my debit card for our joint account...I had to turn the man away and tell him I'd pick it up later at the depot. I closed the door and shed a few tears...I wanna play!!! :([/quote

It depends on the price of what's coming across the border - there's a number where you don't have to pay duty fees until you exceed it (don't know what that is, lol). Also it depends if it is a gift or a purchase. Typically, when I purchase fabric online, the store includes duty fees in the total purchase price, so it's taken care of, and if (for example) a friend sent me a huge box of fabric as a gift, I wouldn't be charged duties.

Even still, buying fabric online, paying for shipping AND duty fees is cheaper than buying locally, sadly.
    I think I must feel a little guilty complaining about the prices of fabric in the quilt shops - but I am retired and need to watch my pennies and get the most I can for every dollar. Still it is better than in Canada from the sounds of it. Thanks for answering my question.

I really feel for you!

Blog Entries
    I bet you won't forget to keep a few blank checks in your purse after this. What kind of machine are you getting? A new machine is exciting!

[quote=oma66]
    Quote Originally Posted by oma66

I think I must feel a little guilty complaining about the prices of fabric in the quilt shops - but I am retired and need to watch my pennies and get the most I can for every dollar. Still it is better than in Canada from the sounds of it. Thanks for answering my question.
    Well, in reality, I bargain shop online...I pay 1/4 (or less!) of the price of fabric in my local shop, for higher quality fabric. Paying the shipping and duty fees brings it up to about half the price I'd pay in my local shop. An example - I bought 7yrds of fabric, and 2 spools of thread in a recent order. With shipping and duty fees, I paid less than $50. That is less than $7/yrd, and here I'm paying up to and over $20/metre (39") for comparable quality of fabric. It's waaay worth it to shop online, especially if I can find a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bet you won't forget to keep a few blank checks in your purse after this. What kind of machine are you getting? A new machine is exciting!
    A Brother XR 9000. I can't wait to give it a test run! I already told my hubby - "You're not expecting this to get wrapped and stuck under the tree...right?" Hubby rolled his eyes and told me to crack into it whenever I want. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Hard to believe it has come to a point where you can't pay with cash!! What is that about? Hope you get your new toy home soon!
    I think this is about not wanting the drivers to be receiving too much cash. Because they are in and out of their package cars they would be an easy mark for theft.

Quote Originally Posted by dewie45
    Quote Originally Posted by craftyone27
    I think this is about not wanting the drivers to be receiving too much cash. Because they are in and out of their package cars they would be an easy mark for theft.
    That is very true.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast