Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So what did you get at JoAnn's sale??

I spent way too much..... but I did get fantastic deals though! I did go ahead and get the huge cutting mat since they were on sale and I had the 20% off coupon, and I did get a good supply of flannel for stuffing and backing. Some Gutterman's thread And misc. Oh, and a pack of blades for my rotary cutter - I'm surprised at how dull mine already is from when I first opened it! (Hey, can these be sharpened??)

start up set for my daughter, mat, ruler, rotary - she's hooked :)

Blog Entries
    wish I had the money for shopping at Joanns right now as I need an angle ruler :( and a cutting mat. I have an extremely tiny one that got warped somehow :( Oh well...things will get better make do or do with out is what Great Grandma said :D

I bought warm and natural batt and gutterman thread at 50% off. Also a plastic continer for my Aunt who wanted one, and a few other odds and ends. All in all it was a great deal. When i reached the register to check out they said they are taking 20% of my total order. How great is that. And the service was good, they had a lot of people cutting and at the registers. Marge

Yes the blades can be sharpened just like a knife or you can buy a sharping tool. you can find the sharping tool by the blades.

Would like to get the large cutting mat, since my daughter put my OLFA in the sun last summer. Will have to check to see if I can afford it. But, with an extra 20% off, with coupon, I might--HA

Lots and lots of flannel!!
    and a new ruler, and pair of scissors...had a great time with a few girlfriends too!!

Blog Entries
    i am proud to report that i got absolutely nothing. quite an accomplishment for a weakling like me. :mrgreen:

I worked today so I did no shopping. That works for me. I have enough fabric and such to last me all winter.

I got soooo much, probably spent too much too! But I am begining and I think I saved 70 dollars!! I got the fabric for my sons blocks to start his quilt, I got a large cutting mat a clear ruler, pin cushion, glass head pins, a all in one thing that has a seem ripper and tons of other junk. A rotary cutter an exrtra blade, soluble pencil, thread I think it is guttermans or whatever ( I take it this is the good stuff) It was like 5.99 before the sale for a thing of that, bobbins... I couldnt beleive how much I saved! I am glad I decided to start this week!

I'm going tomorrow for rotary blades, and that's it. Can't pass up 50% + an extra 20%. But that's it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm going right after chores tomorrow! I have my eye on the 100 spools of Gutterman thread and some fusible interface!

tigger5464...I'm with you there on the wish I had $$ to shop....but true to what Grandma said...I've made do and it works. :D

Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask.....

We don't have JoAnn's in Canada, but I've been hanging on to a gift card for quite some time. My DH is in California visiting family, so I sent him with my gift card and a very definite list. I even went on their web site and printed pictures of what I wanted AND wrote a description.

He chose black Friday to shop at JoAnn's. He tells me there were 7000 women in the store, although I do think he might have exaggerated. Probably because he hates to shop.

He called this evening to proudly tell me my list was complete. Remember how specific I was? Well, he couldn't find anything actually on my list, but was happy to report that he found close substitutions. Instead of Ironslide, he bought an ironing board cover. Instead of 505 spray, he bought June Taylor. It goes on, close but no banana. Poor guy. He's happiest alone in his workshop with only the deer to keep him company all day and there he is in a small house full of various and sundry family gathered together. In the midst of the background chaos, his wife is yelling over the phone "take it back, take it all back, I don't want any of it, don't you dare bring it home".

Maybe my SIL can use the stuff. Right now, I don't care! But, reading about the great things everyone else picked up makes me jealous!!

I took advantage of their last sale & bought 7 Simplicity patterns for $1 each. :)

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    Funny you should ask.....

We don't have JoAnn's in Canada, but I've been hanging on to a gift card for quite some time. My DH is in California visiting family, so I sent him with my gift card and a very definite list. I even went on their web site and printed pictures of what I wanted AND wrote a description.

He chose black Friday to shop at JoAnn's. He tells me there were 7000 women in the store, although I do think he might have exaggerated. Probably because he hates to shop.

He called this evening to proudly tell me my list was complete. Remember how specific I was? Well, he couldn't find anything actually on my list, but was happy to report that he found close substitutions. Instead of Ironslide, he bought an ironing board cover. Instead of 505 spray, he bought June Taylor. It goes on, close but no banana. Poor guy. He's happiest alone in his workshop with only the deer to keep him company all day and there he is in a small house full of various and sundry family gathered together. In the midst of the background chaos, his wife is yelling over the phone "take it back, take it all back, I don't want any of it, don't you dare bring it home".

Maybe my SIL can use the stuff. Right now, I don't care! But, reading about the great things everyone else picked up makes me jealous!!
    Awww I feel bad, I wish he could have gotten what you want. Well, at least you live in a beautiful place like BC....my hubby and I hope to visit there.

Margie

I'm sorry - I didn't intend to make anyone feel bad! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I'm sorry - I didn't intend to make anyone feel bad! :(
    OOOOOOH I dont think you did....I was commenting about her hubby getting her the wrong things..I can relate...mine does the same even though I make the list very specific lol. Was just commiserating with her about that...not the subject.

BTW I am hitting the early bird at Joann tomorrow...hoping to get that big plastic storage unit with the drawers for my sewing room

Margie :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I got tons of stuff!! There was a Gutterman thread think left--and I got some fabric--and 7 yds of fusible webbing, 12 sheets of that fabric to print photos on, antlers for Mazie :lol: , little bags to "wrap" my students gifts, and Christmas decorations for my daughter to use in her house at college and some for my son's girl to use in her new trailer! What fun!! :D :D

Last year the line went all the way around the store to check out. So dont do Joanns on black friday anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyw
    Yes the blades can be sharpened just like a knife or you can buy a sharping tool. you can find the sharping tool by the blades.
    I send all my dull blades to L.P. Sharpe (hes on line) and he shapens them and replaces them also....used him for a lot of years

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i am proud to report that i got absolutely nothing. quite an accomplishment for a weakling like me. :mrgreen:
    Wow, such willpower! I bought lots of flannel (jammies for the grandbabies) and some fleece for "quickie" christmas blankets. JoAnn's in Rancho Cucamonga was a mad house but all the ladies at the cutting counter sang jingle bells - it was delightful! :)

Blog Entries
    Well, I was there at 6:00 AM - (see Topic Black Friday) and there were only about 8 people in line - Really great. I am using my lamp and I have been playing with my walking foot - totally new to me - but since I have to machine quilt the QFK's I figured this was the best way.

Anyhow, My sweet OAO (one and only) said that he was taking me to JoAnn's today to get the Sew Essential Quilting Center thing. It retails $229.99, on sale $149.99 and today I have a 20% off coupon! Thats my Christmas present. The only bad part is that it will remain on the porch, boxed up, until we take the tree down on January 4 = we haven't even gotten our tree yet, probably won't until December 18. Then I can sit for six hours or so and just leisurely put it together. Sure is going to beat a beat up old ironing board. Funny thing about it, I never mentioned it to anyone and my daughter in law says to our son "Tell your Dad about the quilting center at JoAnn's, I know your Mom would love one." So yesterday AM, just to be on the safe side OAO mentioned it to me and I was totally gobsmacked. I am so excited!!!!! That's what I told my family - Alls I want is fabric! Have a good day and I am glad that all of you who got to JoAnn's got what you needed and thems that didn't have money in their pocket for the next round of sales at JoAnn's. Seems to me that they open an hour earlier now, right? Edie

i don't think that they can be sharpened because of them being round and thin

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The store was no busier today than it usually is--I didn't wait in line at all. But, no way would I go on Black Friday!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast