Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soft and Stable >

Soft and Stable

Soft and Stable

Old 04-25-2022, 06:16 AM

Default Soft and Stable

Has anyone had experience with Soft and Stable. I made a zipper pouch yesterday and it was not easy to work with. What hints have you to provide when working with this product? I did use a 90 needle. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:18 AM

I used Soft and Stable on one purse project. Project was a mess but I didn't find the Soft and Stable hard to work with. What problems were you having?
Old 04-25-2022, 10:01 AM

I had trouble sewing in the zipper, the top stitching after the lining was attached, and turning the bag inside out.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:31 AM

When I have used soft and stable, it was not attached to the zipper. Could you tell us what pattern you used?
Old 04-25-2022, 10:36 AM

Was the problem that your machine didn't want to stitch thru the fabric, zipper and Soft and Stable? That would be a machine ability problem rather than a Soft and Stable problem. Have you had this problem with this machine with other heavy interfacings?

I've found using any heavy interfacing makes the bag hard to turn. But since you need the heavy interfacingt to make the bag stand up and look right, I consider that just part of making bags. I actually found Soft and Stable easier to turn than some of the stiffer interfacings I've used.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-25-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:19 AM

I'm not a bag maker (yet) but you might want to check Annie's videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUe...KYe0VjcmThCfpQ
Old 04-26-2022, 02:16 PM

Go to "By Annie's" web page. There are all sorts of free tips and advice in problem areas people have.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:58 PM

I use it for most bags and totes. I quilt the fabric and soft and stable on the embroidery machine using a sheet of no show mesh. Make sure all seam allowances are 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch. I also adjust the pattern and cut the soft and stable is 1/2 inch less all the way around the pattern.

What areas are you having trouble with on the pouch?
Old 04-27-2022, 11:39 AM

First, the front and back were cut at 8 1/2" but after quilting, they measured 8 1/4". (Not a big problem) When sewing the zipper to the pieces with soft and stable it would not lay flat - too much bulk. Followed a pattern on You Tube. Next time I will remember to use a seam allowance of 1/2"all around. Also, had trouble turning the pouch inside out.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:45 AM

I usually make sure that I have no interfacing other than very basic SF101 or the like in the seam allowances when I make a bag.
Did the pouch have a lining? If so, leave yourself lots of opening room to turn the bag...it's usually an opening in the lining that you just sew up anyway, so I don't know why designers are so chincy with their measurements for the turning opening. When I stitch the opening in the lining, I stitch it like the picture attached and this gives you a nice turn to the opening when you go to close it up. (Sorry for the very basic pic...my regular graphics programme wouldn't open.)
Watson

Attached Thumbnails lining.jpg