Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Soldier Quilt Block

I've made a block for the soldier quilt Just One Star Project. On the directions it asks us to sign our block with a brown pigma pen. Hmmm, I don't have one and was wondering if anyone thought it would be ok to use a brown thin tip Sharpie instead?

Thanks!

I was wondering if black would be okay as that is the only color I have. But then thought if they want brown I will have to wait until I go shopping and try to buy a brown ink pigma pen.

I have one block completed but plan to make more. I think this is a great cause and hope they receive lots of blocks.

Longarm

I didn't have a brown so I used a Black one. Don't use the pen enough to go out and buy a brown one they dry up to quick.

I mailed my blocks yesterday--made 9 of them. I just bought a brown pen at my LQS. I figured I can always use it. I have a black one that I've had for at least 5 years, and it hasn't dried up yet. It really doesn't take very much fabric and only a little of your time. Hope they get tons of blocks.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that the sharpie will fade.

One of my friendship groups activities will be to make blocks next week. I did read about the brown pen and promptly forgot it, so this topic is timely.

I doubt if black or brown will be a deal-breaker on using the blocks, but since so many of us will be making them together, I think I'll invest in a brown pen.

Linda

the sharpie will bleed, do a test

The sharpie will wash out and be totally gone in about 2-3 washings.

I just used my black pigment pen. I don't even know where to find a brown one without mail ordering, and I'm not about to go through all that hassle just to sign "Bonnie MS" on some quilt blocks. My sig was so tiny I didn't figure it would matter. I'm sure they will be getting plenty of sigs in black.

Mistake to use a Sharpie! They bleed and will easily ruin a perfectly good block.

I was thinking about just sewing or embroidering my name. You don't have much space though to write or sew!

I've had problems with sharpies running lately. Not sure if they've changed the ink or if fabric is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNana
    My understanding is that the sharpie will fade.

I used a black pigma.

Ok, so I need to go get a pigma pen. Do you think JoAnn's sells them? I had back surgery two weeks ago and I'm still not allowed to get in a car. Wonder if my husband will mind going for me. LOL

Hobby Lobby carries the pigma pens if you have one near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzaney
    Ok, so I need to go get a pigma pen. Do you think JoAnn's sells them? I had back surgery two weeks ago and I'm still not allowed to get in a car. Wonder if my husband will mind going for me. LOL
    If it's that inconvenient, I would just send the blocks unsigned. On the other hand tho, they don't need the blocks for several weeks more. You have a lot of time to go get one when it's more convenient.

Hope you heal well from the surgery! Back probs are no fun.

I didn't have one and the stores around don't sell them so instead I took the block to my embroidery machine and stitched my name on it, I didn't think they would mind as long as the block was the dimensions they wanted with the content they requested

I just ordered one from Amazon. Figured that was easier than sending my husband on a wild goose chase. :)