Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solid Black Fabric - Kona or Moda?

I always bought Kona because that is what I could get at the LQS and Joanns. I have never liked it, the Moda I have used is so much nicer. Now I have Kona I have to use up before buying more Moday.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    I always bought Kona because that is what I could get at the LQS and Joanns. I have never liked it, the Moda I have used is so much nicer. Now I have Kona I have to use up before buying more Moday.
    The Kona at Joanns is not the Robert Kaufman Kona. Big difference

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    They certainly aren't trying to hide anything and they're happy to tell you if you ask them. They carry only major manufacturers goods and do not cover up the bolt ends like some stores do. As I said earlier, their solids are primarily Kona and RJR with a few others that are also 'name brand'. It's been a couple months since I was last up there, so unfortunately I don't remember all of them. I believe Moda is one, however.
    Good to know. I can only buy online. Wish I was closer to Keepsake

I like Kaufman Kona Black, It works great for me and I have also used Amish Black and it's another great one, it's just easier for me to get Kaufman Kona in my area.

I personally find Kona to be too stiff & hard -- not a good hand (IMHO). I always use Moda & love it... in any color!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I hate the feel of Kona black and find it too stiff, even after many washings. I prefer Keepsake's Amish black but now think I'll take another look at Moda's since I like their other solids.

LOL...we do feel passionate about our favorite blacks....the only true black I will use is:
    Kaufman Jet Black...have bought Moda Jet Black in a pinch but prefer the Kaufman.

While we are talking about black fabrics- tell me your experiences with these fabrics breaking down over time. I am trying to repair a quilt that has a lot of black that has disinegrated while other fabrics are still intact. I have heard the dyes may cause this. Comments/experience??

I'd probably pick Moda because I like the way it feels.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I will have to try some of these and compare for myself. I love that true, true black!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

1380 is described as "Pea Black"
    1379 is described as "Washed Black"
    1377 is described as "Black"
    If you are looking for the "blackest black" I would say go with 1377.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet View Post
    Man-o-man, you ladies are Great! I guess we can re-title this 50 shades of black, lol.

Another question about the Thousands of Bolts, darn it if they don't have 3 blacks that look the same but with different numbers. Any help on this? #1380, 1377, 1379.

That Amish black is talking to me..........
    Pat

A black that is wonderful is carried by JoAnn. Long staple Egyptian cotton. Tight weave, rich colors. Handles beautifully, both for machine & hand. My second pick is Moda Bella. Used to use Kona, but the weave is looser and it ravels too much.
    SandyQuilter

I bought a bolt of Kona black (not their jet black) and it does indeed ravel. Next time (which could be a long way off) I think I'll get Moda.
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

I love Blank Quilting's solid black, it is the only one i have found that is a true black and I was told from a rep that it is not dyed with mixing a bunch of left over colours like alot of companies make black from. It has a great feel and wash up very well ....

Everyone has their own preferrence...I buy mine at Joann or Hancocks...actually don't look for who makes it.
    My only suggestion to anyone needed black (or any fabric color), buy more than you think you will need...don't skimp! Sometimes our calculations are off, sometimes we make a wrong cut, etc. It is almost impossible to match colors (especially solids) if you run out.
    Right now I have 4 different blacks...all 100% cotton, two are Kona...none are the same color black!

Marge
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2