Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The solution to the question  about selling products made from bought patterns >

The solution to the question about selling products made from bought patterns

The solution to the question about selling products made from bought patterns

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Thanks Wunder-Mar,I also talked with an attorney about this and he said almost the same as you did.All the items you make are yours to do with as you wish.The 1 thing you have to be careful about is.If you and your friend Jane are making a quilt together and 1 of you buys the pattern,you can copy it to GIVE to Jane,not sell.Also you cannot copy 50 copies and SELL for profit.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
Thanks Wunder-Mar,I also talked with an attorney about this and he said almost the same as you did.All the items you make are yours to do with as you wish.The 1 thing you have to be careful about is.If you and your friend Jane are making a quilt together and 1 of you buys the pattern,you can copy it to GIVE to Jane,not sell.Also you cannot copy 50 copies and SELL for profit.
In the case of two people working on a single quilt together, one from the original pattern and one from a duplicated copy (and I don't believe that even this is legit), I think you would find that once the work is done and the quilt is finished, only one of those people can walk away with BOTH copies of the pattern or else the copy must be destroyed. You cannot wind up with two copies from which to make future quilts separately. Just as the 'copying' prohibition does not kick in at 50 (it starts at 1), give, trade or sell has nothing to do with it. It is the 'reproduction' that is illegal, not the distribution method per se.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the start of this thread. I'ved learned a lot of valuable information!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM

I found a site with a Kindle cover that I wanted to make. I had people ask me if I would sell them. So I wrote to the designers and asked if I could sell them. They said, sure, but would I put a card inside that told folks where I got the pattern from. They even sent me a card that said __________ is an authorized Kindle cover seller. Then they had their website at the bottom. I thought that was pretty cool and that's what I do. I think it is also a courtesy that I put the card in and that it thanks them for being so sharing.

I've also found that if you ask folks for permission to make patterns, that they will gladly share with you. Most people are very kind and flattered that you might want and enjoy their pattern.

Last edited by sewellie; 01-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.