Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Solved breaking thread problem

Solved breaking thread problem

I've been sewing on a lot of quilt blocks lately & suddenly my tread has started to break & the stitches look sort of jagged on the back. At first I thought it was because my thread was getting close to the end of the spool & maybe there was a little burr on the spool that it was hanging up on so I changed out to a new spool of thread.....still breaking. Finally I decided to do a thorough inspection of the bobbin area & WOW did it ever need a cleaning! I cleaned it all out & now it's back to purring like a kitten. It's amazing what lint build up can do to your machine. I generally clean out the bobbin area on a regular basis but got lazy & haven't done it for awhile.....lessons learned!

Blog Entries
    It really is amazing how much lint can be in the bobbin area! Glad that you solved your problem. Sew on, friend!!!!
    Last edited by Pinkiris; 09-04-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Sue

This reminds me that I should probably clean out my bobbin area. Whenever I think it's been a while, I clean it and there's hardly any lint, but when it seems like I JUST did it, there will be layers of lint, a little lint community building houses out of lint and having little lint children.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Breaking threads can be really frustrating and it's good to know another thing to look for.

It's best to clean out the lint and put a drop of oil on the race with every bobbin change, and before starting to run your sewing machine for the day.

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. our poor machines do try but we tend to forget they need some loving care every so often. good for you.

Isn't it a great feeling when you find the problem? Yay!!!

Mitty....are the lint children that live in our bobbin area's related to the dust bunnies that live around furniture? If so, I'm in trouble....LOL

Blog Entries
    I was going crazy trying to figure out why I was having a problem. Cleaned out everything twice! changed threads, re-threaded bobbins, everything. Then I got out my little magnifying tool and found a tiny piece of thread caught under the feed dog plate - THAT WAS IT! Now the final close look is part of my cleaning ritual.