Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back. >

Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back.

Some advice for the LQS from a senior quilter with a bad back.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM

You might suggest to the store that a simple and relatively inexpensive way to raise their shelves would be the use of cinder blocks. We did this with the receiving table where I used to work. It took more than one block to raise it to a comfortable work level for me as I am fairly tall (5'9"). The original height of the work table was only as tall as a wooden counter top set on top of a pair of two drawer file cabinets.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 PM

To tell you the truth, I have never, ever been to any shop that sells bolts of fabric that has NOT had them displayed on shelves at floor level. Usually the shelves are stacked three high, but they always go right to the floor. Empty space is just not income producing.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM

I agree, 2 or 3 shelves is more productive use of space, but this shop had about 75% of fabric on one shelf - floor level.

The top of the single shelf displayed baskets with fat quarters, rolls, kits.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
To tell you the truth, I have never, ever been to any shop that sells bolts of fabric that has NOT had them displayed on shelves at floor level. Usually the shelves are stacked three high, but they always go right to the floor. Empty space is just not income producing.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Lower shelves don't bother me but when they are free standing and too close together, that makes it difficult to navigate especially of another shopper is in the aisle.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

The stores I go to have two rows of fabrics, one to the ground and one above. I hate bending over or getting on my knees and then crawling along on the floor to see all the fabric. It's ridiculous. So, I don't usually buy from the bottom shelf. Sometimes I will ask the clerk if she will grab something off the bottom shelf for me because I can't do it and they will do it. But what I agree with is when they have all the bolts wedged in too tight. Ohhh...If I can get one out, I'll leave it on the floor with a couple more and then shop thru the rest of the bolts. They always have half empty shelves elsewhere so I don't know why they have to fill up some of the shelves plum full unless they want to keep the fabric line together. It must be frustrating for the owners, too. They probably feel bad seeing us crawling around on the floor and trying to pry a bolt of fabric loose off the shelf. I can see both sides. I wish they had shopping carts at my quilt shops because I usually buy fabric from quite a few bolts and have to haul them up front. It'd be nice to throw them in a cart and keep on shopping. I'd end up spending more money. They could buy those small carts they make now. They make inexpensive ones. They'd need only 2 or 3 in their stores and they'd pay for themselves in a couple of months, I'd think. And I agree about having a stool to sit on while looking on lower shelves. Would be terrific! And sometimes I spend a lot of time looking in the store and my legs get tired.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I agree that having carts in a store - like JoAnn and WalMart makes it a lot easier to buy more - and it's nice to be able to see everything together.

Some of the LQS I've been in, though, barely have enough room for ONE person to walk through the aisles - holding their arms close to their sides - - -

I also do not care for shelves that seem to be over arms length high off the floor (I'm only 5'3") - Some stores do have stools to stand on - but my balance is getting a little iffy

I can see storing duplicates 'up high' - some stores do that -

The idea of a 'resting place' is nice too. The LQS in Dade City has a nice bench right outside the store and one or two chairs off in a corner - the longer I stay, the more money I'm apt to spend.

It is also nice to have a place for the 'non-quilting companion' to hang out while the quilter shops.

A rest room available to the public is nice, too.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM

I agree with all of you on every issue! I'm thinking of the shops in my area --- one has a cafe/restaurant attached to the store ( ) and one has a bench for resting They all have bathrooms. But they ALL have fabric on the bottom shelf. I know that's "real estate that costs money"....so fill every space. I agree that putting the bolts in so tight that you have to use a pry bar is the most irritating. I recently was in a shop on the other side of the state. They use a strip of fabric to wrap the bolt so the fabric doesn't come off......sounds good, except I like to open up the fabric and look at the pattern. I found it a pain in the xxxx to have to futz with that strip while holding bolts of fabric. One of the LQS has lots of counter space and a basket that has tags in it. The tags read "purchase in progress" or something like that. You stack the bolts as you shop and put the tag on the top bolt --- that way they aren't put back on the shelf as fast as you pull them out.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM

I have not come upon that place. I live near you in Cambridge, MD and was wondering if you would be willing to tell me which shop you found that situation in. We have several in our guild who have back problems and we sometimes shop together. I would not take them there.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I like my fabric at waist high. Anything lower than that and it's in my blurry zone. You know the zone where my bifocals don't work and my regular glasses are blurry
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM

I've never thought of it before, but all our fabric bolts are near floor level on shelves. It's never seemed a problem.

however, the cupboards that they are in have a smaller shelf above the bolts to hold fat quarters. The FQs are ones cut from the bolts that are below them so if you can't bend, all the fabrics are just above the bolts. On top of the cupboards are all the jelly rolls, more FQs, displays of various things including books, patterns, finished projects.