Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some ???s for professional quilters

Just my thoughts. Find a LAQ that you are comfortable with and can talk to. Ask her (or him) what they need, and tell them what your concerns are. Better yet, set up an appointment and take your quilt so you both can talk about it.

My sister is a professional LAQ and the only quilt she has ever refused came from a quilter that is known to be a "problem" person. This complainer often demands a discount from the quilter because the work isn't up to standards. Yup, the LAQ know each other and talk together.
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

I am a professional longarm quilter and I have had some baaaaaaaad quilts...but I never turn anyone away and if I have a real problem, (like I had to put tucks or something) I explain it to the piecer and I also show them how to avoid this in the future. The WORST thing for a longarm quilter to get is wavy, wonky borders. When you load the quilt, if the borders are stretched or not put on properly, it is a true nightmare. ALWAYS measure through the middle of your top, vertical first, use that exact meaurement to cut your borders, find center of border and center or top, pin, and ease into place. Afterwards, do the same thing with the horizontal...you will never have a wavy border. I am amazed at how many of my clients took a beginning quilting class and this was never even mentioned. If you cut a long strip, sew it on, it will stretch and mess up the entire quilt. I had one sweet lady, it was her first quilt, and I could see right away it was out of square. I removed her borders and fixed them. I had 3 INCHES on every strip extra when I did it the way I described above.
    We all began at the beginning, and I do my very best to turn a client's quilt top into a treasure, and just remember, there IS NO PERFECT QUILT. I have yet to piece a quilt top that did not have some little flaw, pucker, block turned wrong, SOMETHING....so relax, enjoy the process and be proud of your creation.
    Michelle
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    I think most professional long armers do not judge the quilt-however, if the borders are "wavy", there are open seams, or the infamous "volcano" centre is present, it is very difficult to quilt so everything lays flat and square. Whether points meet etc. is totally irrelevant, and most pros will not judge this-after all-it's not a quilt show!
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Unless you are taking it to the quilt police to be quilted, why should you fret about your work?? Most of us put lots of love into our projects. Hold your head of high and be proud of your work. Believe me, I have lots of flaws in my work, but it is what it is: a work sewn with love.

Blog Entries
    as long as your quilt top is well constructed- fairly square (even) and the threads are not a mess on the back - most of us will quilt it-
    i've quilted many that had kind of wavy borders- lots of errors/flaws---no one is perfect- i've done a few that other quilters refused to do---and did pretty good with them. it really depends on the quilter- take yours to the quilter you want to use- and show it- i bet it's not anywhere near as bad as you think- quilting can actually fix some areas that are (not so great)
    if the outside edges are stretchy- run a stay stitch (just a straight stitch) about 1/4" around the whole outside of the quilt- that will help it not stretch out of shape when loaded for the long-arm- and just check to make sure your seams are all intact---when loaded on the frame there is *pulling/stretching* when rolled up...the seams need to be secure- which the stay stitching also helps with.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've been a "professional" longarm quilter for nearly eight yrs. In that time I've only returned one quilt to a first time quilter that had mitered something like eight borders. I felt really bad but I knew that quilt was beyond my capability to "work my magic" (that's a comment quilters often tell me when they leave a quilt with me).
    Flaws that make my job difficult:
    Ruffled borders, too thick seams that stub my hopping foot up, poor pressing, batting or backings cut too small, quilts that are not square, open seams. I know there are a lot of longarm quilters that go the extra mile and take off those ruffled borders and fix them but I personally don't do that, if needed I'll send it back with the client to remedy and then have her bring it back for quilting. I do fix any open seams that I find, as it needs to be done before the quilting.
    I do know that being a longarm quilter has made me a better quilter piecer. In fact, I told that to a client of mine that just purchased a longarm.
    I have never felt that I'm the quilt police, my job is to complete the process for my clients to the very best of my abilty. I love my job and I've met the nicest people all over my area and beyond. Quilters and quilting is cool!!!
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

I do LA quilting and the biggest challenges for me are: wavy borders, backs not big enough, open seams and some battings that have high & low spots. I ask anyone who brings me something, what would you like me to do? What color thread? I have never judged a person's ability to make their tops (but have given gentle suggestions on what to do to help them if there are problems), I am not the quilt police. I feel honored that someone has trusted me to help finish their work of love. Find someone you can talk to and feel you can trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2