Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some ways to mess up a quilt - >

Some ways to mess up a quilt -

Some ways to mess up a quilt -

Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM

Susan: Truly terrifying. Even with the disclaimer of "I'm not hurt", I would need to see for myself. Can sure understand why you weren't in the mind set to quilt. My kids have provided me with some of my more heart stopping moments of my life. I keep warning them I'm too old, they just might scare me to death.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure I have any number of these negatives happen when I've been quilting, but I try not to let it discourage me from my love of quilting. When things start to go wrong and you can't seem to fix them, top, pick up another project or just quilt all together and come back to it later, when you can come back to it with a clearer mind. Sometimes I just need to walk away and when I come back to the project, I'm OK.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 PM

I think the only way to really mess up a quilt is to simply "NOT" try.

In my case, I feel like my mess ups always have to do with the quilting part of making a quilt. It's a goal, I truly want to feel comfortable and adequate when actually quilting my quilts. Guess I need to practice more. I think I have no less then 5 tops ready to be quilted. I will have to get on that.....soon.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
ETA - I have always been worried about putting a quilt together with backing wrong side out, although I have never done it. Still, I check it a few times.
lol, giggle, I haven't put the wrong side out, but, I did get the back on upside down on the fifth quilt I made. lol, I never noticed it until it was all done. It was my actual first bed size quilt. It still makes me smile. It resides on my son's bed. He doesn't care.

*Note to self, I try never to buy a directional fabric for backing or triangles. Really, almost anything. lol Fewer boo boo's show on just a plain, tone on tones or small prints. I'm still learning all the time.

Yall have definitely made me smile.

Last edited by Judith1005; 08-17-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM

Started a tee-shirt quilt with a fusible batting, pressed on the tee-shirt side of the sandwich.

One shot of iron-cleaner later I had to throw out that block. Fortunately, it was a QAYG project so I could swap in another block without taking the whole top apart.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Wait ... Did I just read you have a new little one? Congratulations!!!!
Yes, our DIL went into labour in the early hours of Sunday morning and delivered a beautiful little boy on Monday morning...Our precious little Felix Giove.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Well , i think it is funny. Yes , funny. I've had most of these happen to me and the time really upset me. But i try to find the humor in all things. Maybe not at the time , but later. hehhehee
Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 AM

Ah, just yesterday I was putting the final border on a queen sized quilt. I didn't want joins so painstakingly cut each 8 1/2" wide strip lengthwise from the fabric before cutting them to the size I needed. I was cutting the last piece and did not measure twice. It was exactly 1" too short.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blondeslave View Post
Ah, just yesterday I was putting the final border on a queen sized quilt. I didn't want joins so painstakingly cut each 8 1/2" wide strip lengthwise from the fabric before cutting them to the size I needed. I was cutting the last piece and did not measure twice. It was exactly 1" too short.
I live in mortal fear of doing that - so now I usually cut the borders two or three inches longer than needed - and NEVER before the rest of the top is done - but I do mark the "exact" length needed on the border to match to the rest of the top. I would rather cut off an inch or two on each end than be short.

I think it makes sense to "reserve" the border fabric before cutting the rest of the pieces - but I also think it is better to wait until the rest of the top is done to actually cut the borders because sometimes the top has grown an inch or two from the measurement suggested in the pattern.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Yes! If ya quilt long enough, you can sure empathize. When I see small dots from the quilter sticking her finger, I smile and can feel her pain. Makes it all the more authentic.