Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something new >

Something new

Something new

Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Cover your tendering mallet from the kitchen w batting & a rubber band? I just cleaned on the kitchen junk drawer & found 3 of these.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
Wouldn't pounding on the seams like that wreck the threads and maybe weaken the seam? I think it is really stupid and rather find other ways to deal with it. It would be better to starch the seam and put a 10 pound weight on it instead until it is dry.
i think "stupid" is a bit too strong a word. i will confess that i'd feel awfully silly assaulting my quilts with a hammer or mallet. but, i don't think i'd feel any sillier than i did when, on a training mission while in the Army, we were told to aim our unloaded weapons and go "bang! bang-bang! brrrrrrrrrrrrow!" because they'd run out of blanks for us to use. now that was stupid! (and a true story - cross my heart.) :XD:

i guess i will have to try it sometime. otherwise the curiosity will drive me crazier. :lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
OMG! What on earth would a hammer do for a quilt? LOl and $10? Is this real?
I saw someone (can't remember who) on TV doing this on a quilting show. It is supposed to "knock" down the seam where several connect so it lays flatter for quilting. They steamed it then pounded it. I thought it was a bit extreme myself, but what ever suits the quilter I guess.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Wouldn't pounding on the seams like that wreck the threads and maybe weaken the seam? I think it is really stupid and rather find other ways to deal with it. It would be better to starch the seam and put a 10 pound weight on it instead until it is dry.
i think "stupid" is a bit too strong a word. i will confess that i'd feel awfully silly assaulting my quilts with a hammer or mallet. but, i don't think i'd feel any sillier than i did when, on a training mission while in the Army, we were told to aim our unloaded weapons and go "bang! bang-bang! brrrrrrrrrrrrow!" because they'd run out of blanks for us to use. now that was stupid! (and a true story - cross my heart.) :XD:

i guess i will have to try it sometime. otherwise the curiosity will drive me crazier. :lol:
Well this is a quilting board and talking about quilting not guns. If you want to beat your seams that is your choice. :roll:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

tailors use them for pressing seams in wool.
just helps keep the seam flat especially in multiple seams.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 PM

I worked for a tailer and also sewed in a factory and we didn't use mallots at all but used steam pressers to flatten the seams. They used it on all types of fabric like heavy wool, fur, denum and even swade.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Well this is a quilting board and talking about quilting not guns. If you want to beat your seams that is your choice. :roll:
i'm writing 1,000 times in cursive ...

"The moderator must behave. The moderator must behave. The moderator must not touch that line with a 10 foot pole. Because the moderator must behave."

:lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I have seen this demonstrated at quilt shows. It seems to work, although I did not buy one. Imaging taking your frustrations out on seams that will NOT lay flat! Maybe that's why I want to try flower pounding!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I want to take a hammer to my quilt.....or my sewing machine.....or my computer, but I try to control those urges. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I use a Tailor's Press. I really makes a difference in flat seams. The hammer does work on bulky seams if they are fanned out first. Any hammer will work to flatten but a wood hammer is best and you use it after pressing the seam hot so the wood absorbs the heat super fast and sets the seam. The pricey wood hammers are made from wood that that is used to make the Tailor's Press. It's not just a gimmick, there is a reason.