Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Something told me to wash it.

Something told me to wash it.

Don't you just love Shout. The first strip was first wash, second strip next wash. My red is now good to go. LOLName:  shout.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  21.1 KB
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

WOW , thats alot of color that was shed!

They are good, I never lose that much color from my fabrics.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

And this is a 'name' brand fabric, too. Go figure(?)
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Blog Entries
    i hope the second one is not where you stopped- should wash until the color catcher comes out with no more color- if you are still getting that much color it is not done yet-
    i had a green recently that i re-washed 5 times before i finally had my color catcher come out clear/white. had i stopped after 2 washes i would have had green tinged whites all through my quilt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    But your red is no longer red.

I would have trouble trusting that fabric.

I thought at first that those were pictures of the fabric before and after. LOL

I had that happen to a red I bought at the quilt shop and paid $10.99 a yard for. Fortunately, I only bought 1 yard. I didn't bother to take it back...........I was too disgusted and upset to make the trip!

Geez that is a lot of color lost hope you are happy with it but it looks more pink than red

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
    Don't you just love Shout. The first strip was first wash, second strip next wash. My red is now good to go. LOLName:  shout.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  21.1 KB
    I cannot live with out them i have a pair of cream colored curtains in my living room with burgandy trim they are at least 8 years old by now and they get washed every spring and fall they still bleed burgandy.I sure won't wash with out them on certain fabrics.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I had a similar experience recently with a stripe fabric. I used synthrapol along with the color catchers. The thread below shows the result on the three color catchers.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t184611.html

I wash ALL of my fabrics before use, not just for bleed but also to remove the nasty chemicals used in the manufacturing process, and I understand some may also contain insecticides applied at some point to deter infestation during (or after) shipping (possibly at point of importation), and lastly - to encourage shrinkage. The above thread is the first time I used synthrapol though and I will be using it a lot more often.

side note: despite the amount of dye on the color catchers my fabric still retained all of it's color, it did NOT fade.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Wow! Looks more like light pink now!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I depend on Color Catchers in my laundry, but I got started with them when I was making "Raggy Quilts" because I couldn't prewash the fabric. The last of these quilts was burgandy, black, and white (My granddaughter's request). It came out beautifully and is a striking quilt!
    Bebe McGee

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I thought at first that those were pictures of the fabric before and after. LOL
    I thought this too! LOL May need Retayne or that item that starts with a 'S'. I always have to look up which one it is that sets the color in.

Well now I feel dumb---should have read the rest of the posts before I put my 2 cents worth in. janeknapp, thanks for the link!
    Last edited by glenda5253; 04-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

QM
    I would not trust that fabric either. ARGH! I am finding increasingly that dyes are running.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Wow, 2nd wash I never do except on dark purples. Seeing your fabric change worries me. Was this high-end quilt fabric?

Wow, you certainly did the right thing!!!
    Love 4 stchen

I always wash the reds, purples and blues because they bleed most often. I have to say I have never seen as much color loss as you have there.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.