Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something for women to make on a church retreat >

Something for women to make on a church retreat

Something for women to make on a church retreat

Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 AM

I know this is not sewing, but I had to come up with a fast, cheap, charity craft for my womens' church group. Only one could crochet, but she taught us and we did casket blankets for preemies, hats for preemies and earwarmers for the homeless shelter. We found the patterns online for everything except the ear warmers and that is a combination of my mistakes and online. They are super simple to make and take 1 1/2-2 hours. Good luck!!!!!! I'll be glad to share patterns.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 AM

I'd say pillowcases, I love making them! The only other quick projects I do is baby bibs and burp cloths. Maybe small animal or baby rag quilts? oh, and the self-binding receiving blankets- they are quick and easy, and come out so cute!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 AM

We did mini Christmas stockings (ornament size) and I brought my embroidery machine and put names on them as they finished them.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I have a pattern for a really cool dinner roll holder that can be done in that time frame, is really unique and fun to have! Essentially, you cut six circles of fabric about 15" in diameter. They can all be the same, three of each or six different fabrics. You sew them together, in twos, right sides together, turn and finish stitching. After pressing, you attached one circle to another using a pie cut stitch pattern, then attached the third circle with tack stitches. Add snaps for holding it in place for use and voila....When done and filled with dinner rolls it looks like a flower, when not filled it can double as a hot pad for the table.
If you would the the pattern, send me a PM and I will send you the .pdf.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by lbitten View Post
Our women's retreat is coming soon at our church. I've been asked to provide something for women who have never sewn to make in 2-3 hrs. In the past we've made rice filled hot dish holders (very nice), bags (took too long) and wreaths sewn on embroidery hoops (also nice). I was thinking of microwave potato baker bags however, just read the post from someone who had hers catch fire in the microwave so that's out. Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks!
Potato bags are great...use 100 percent cotton with no chemicals, cotton fabric and cotton thread....works!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 AM

I agree with the potato bags - all parts must be 100% cotton. Warm & Natural is 100% cotton. There also are several tutorials/instructions on the covered casserole carrier that is easy and you can make whatever size you'd like. The pillowcases and the 10 minute table runners are fun & easy, too. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
The video was really cool for the 10 min. table runner or the 12 min. gift bag. I did go to the site and signed in but could never find the directions. He-e-e-e-elp!
​Did I miss something? Where is the 12 min gift bag? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Every year i make 15-20 stuffed animals (suziees zoo) type, just two pcs.some can cut,sew,dtuff, donate to homeless shelter,then make pillowcases for themselves, or ornaments are great too.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 AM

I love the idea of pillowcases, and then they could be donated to a local Childrens Cancer Hospital.....what better use of their time could their be
Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I was just on you tube, they have a bunch of tuts on making accs. Wqith potholders.
Wwallet,ck book cover, jewelery case ect