Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I get so mad at myself

Happens to me all the time! Dont beat your self up, just laugh it off.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I was making a crib size trip around the world and I always make extra strips to do a pillow cover, wall hanging border or any other accent pieces and I don't know I just kept adding strips and when I was finished I had a full size quilt. I guess I should have realized that I had made way too many strips.

I don't call them senior momments but blonde ones but here is the kicker my hair is brown

Just did the same thing!! I am working on a table runner... Thought I knew how to do it and was not paying attention to the directions, came upon a snag - I needed to rip off (gently, of course) one triangle - only one! - set the project aside for supper (darn that need!) and when I went back to it I forgot about the row already sewn together and went on to the next one... one whole row has been left out - THANKFULLY no one will ever know ;)

If I didn't see any mistakes I would know someone else was in my sewing room sewing instead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    So tonight as I finished piecing the last block on my brothers anniversary quilt (and that is July 28th)
    I think wow I am finally done I can sew these together put the boarders on and sandwich it. Stayed up late tonight to get the piecing done.

Lay all of the blocks out on the floor and realize I completely forgot a whole row.
    I dont know where I got in my head that the quilt only had 12 blocks but there is suppose to be 16

Ohh well back to cutting and piecing tomorrow :( I thought I was done :(
    now that I think about it I was surprised I had extra fabric. That should have tipped me off.

So do you every have those moment where its is just like "how or why did I do that?"
    Yep ! Left a whole row out and wondered why I had so many blocks left over. I was a very, very beginner at the time. What I did make was pretty tho and a non-quilter wouldn't know the difference.

I think most of us have so many things on our minds that it is very easy to "blank out"! At least you still have a little time and you ought to be really good at those blocks by now :)

Your brother will love the quilt - he's a lucky brother-

We all do stupid things and wonder why. At least you admit to it, some quilters wouldn't want anyone to know they make mistakes.

Dee
    Senior moments are very often for me. Rip it!

I had the opposiite problem--I miscounted and made two extra blocks on the quilt I am working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Yup. My "favorite" mistake is when I have everything laid out on the floor and start picking up and sewing, get interrupted, then sew two "wrong" rows together. :roll:
    I can still hear my first quilting teacher--"grab that row on the right, with your right hand & don't you dare let that sucker out of that hand until you are at the sewing machine ". but I still let myself get distracted by something & end with rows wrong. sometime I tell myself that I just invented a new pattern and just keep going.

Blog Entries
    I got the new blocks cut and almost sewed together. I am so glad I noticed because I am only doing a 60"x60 couch quilt. Forgetting a whole row makes it a really short quilt for my 6' brother and his 5'8 wife lol

The only reason I did notice when I did was because the blocks make a pattern when put together so I knew something was off when I couldn't see the pattern I was going for.

I am glad to know I am not alone and it happens to others :D its no fun feeling lonely lol

Blog Entries
    You bet. Just did that with the last quilt I did.

Power Poster
    Almost all the time.

this one is my favorite posted so far.....because it is something I would do
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    I did that last week ! I was sewing the 7th of 9 rows and knew something was wrong. I was also sooooooo proud of myself for noticing my blunder before I had sewn another row on. I "unsewed" the last 2 blocks in the previous row and 2 from the row I had just sewn. Laid it back out on the floor to make sure it was right this time, so proud again ! It was then that I realized that there weren't any mistakes, I was just looking at the quilt sideways!!! Sewed them all back together and all was well. I even marked the first row so I wouldn't get confused. Didn't help much.

Just made a scrapquilt last week and after finishing 36 blocks I came to the conclusion I had put them all the wrong way together.
    So there you go............ another boo boo quilt.
    But the manager in the charity shop still hugs and kisses me when I drop off my gifts for them to sell.

Blog Entries
    i a mistake is possible, i have either already made it three times, or am destined to make it three times.

sometimes four ... ok, five ... ten?

oh, forget it! i can't count that high! i ran out of toes. :XD:

Blog Entries
    The very fist quilt I made to give away as a baby gift was a simple "Trip Around the World" pattern in which a bunch of small squares are arranged so that the 4 fabrics I used made repeating diamonds through the quilt. All diamonds. So I quilted straight lines through the darker colored diamonds, but when I tried to quilt the through the lighter diamonds, they were rectangles???? Turns out I had turned one of the 4 huge blocks that makes up the quilt sideways when I sewed the top together. Yikes. I did some creative quilting and then just gave it to the couple anyway. They loved it so much they hung it on the wall instead of using it. I call it my first piece of abstract quilt art!!!!!!

I have made mistakes like everyone else but sometimes a few choice words come out. One night my husband came from watching TV and asked, "Are you really enjoying quilting?" I had to laugh and said,"Um ya" and realized this is fun and now I am more relaxed and realize no one is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Yup. My "favorite" mistake is when I have everything laid out on the floor and start picking up and sewing, get interrupted, then sew two "wrong" rows together. :roll:
    Oh yeah, I've done that too

Don't have space to list them here I'll justsay "Been there, done that!

Oh, yes!

just the other day I was at my quilting class learning the famed "krazy kwilt" ugh! After so many attempts to get it right and not to appear stupid to the other student who was granted much smarter and faster than I, my teacher said out loud..."Sherrie,you are my problem child!" It doesn't matter which class I attend to try and better myself as a new quilter, I always seem to be the only one making mistakes! I won't give up though, she is 83 and I feel I can at least drive her crazy for another 20 years...you think?

Yep, unfortunatly!

Quote Originally Posted by SherrieDLux
    just the other day I was at my quilting class learning the famed "krazy kwilt" ugh! After so many attempts to get it right and not to appear stupid to the other student who was granted much smarter and faster than I, my teacher said out loud..."Sherrie,you are my problem child!" It doesn't matter which class I attend to try and better myself as a new quilter, I always seem to be the only one making mistakes! I won't give up though, she is 83 and I feel I can at least drive her crazy for another 20 years...you think?
    mine used to sigh, and say in a martyred voice, Oh, Rain, what have you done THIS TIME. And then she would ignore me until I made another msitake. I watch the tutes here - no sighing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast