Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sometimes I wonder >
  • Sometimes I wonder

• Sometimes I wonder

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

I know I won't, but that is OK with me. I enjoy looking at the beautiful work here and draw inspiration from everyone's posts. I enjoy my work and it brings comfort to people. Life is good.
    Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Forget what others are doing and don't use others as your guide. Master your technical skills, do what you like and enjoy and what is comfortable for you
    And above all.......creativity can be in simple things. It is not always the top prize winning quilt. Do your quilting thing/style and do it the best you can and stop trying to copy others. Ue thers for inspiration but make it yours If you contstantly try to copy others but fail then you will live a life of quilting frustration.

I won't copy because then that is someone else work, not mine. I was just stating that I wonder if my skill level will ever get to the point of some others. I know expert level will never be my level, but that is ok. I just want my points to match, I want to be able to design a quilt, even someone elses pattern that is unique. So insperation is what these quilts I veiw are.

Thanks feline fanatic, I will check out the link you put up.
    Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM
    Power Poster

I wonder too -

I know that my skills are "better" than some - and "not nearly as good as" many others.

There may be an "ultimate quilter" out there - but so what? I put that in the same category as "fastest runner" etc. Right now I'm grateful when I can shuffle from point A to point B.

I am also reasonably sure that my skills may deteriorate when I get very old and/or feeble.
    Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I have the mechanical part mastered. My downfall is design and use of colors! I don't think I'll ever be as good as those others based on these deficits :cry:
    Although other quilters have totally awesome quilts. Each persons taste is never the same. I just have something I want to do or try, ask my DH to make the pattern for me and I do it. As long as I am happy with what I do, is fine with me. I am not out to win any ribbons or selling them. I am just enjoying what I can create
    Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Many skills are used in quilting. Pick the pattern, Pick the fabric, Pre-wash the fabric, Press as you progress, Cut the fabric, Sew the individual blocks, Check the ‘square’ of each block, Arrange the blocks, Sew the blocks together, Add any borders, Unfold & fluff batting, Pin/bast quilt sandwich, Quilt the quilt, Bind the quilt.

You will gain confidence. As your level of comfort grows in one area it will grow in the others. For those that remain uncomfortable, you simpley ask for help.
    Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Like the army says, be the best you can be (or something like that :) )!