Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooooooo much waste.... need ideas (with pics)

Blog Entries
    Sew the strips together and use that as part of your backing.

or

cut the strips into squares - and rearrage to your liking and make another quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Sew the strips together and use that as part of your backing.

or

cut the strips into squares - and rearrage to your liking and make another quilt.
    I was thinking this way too.

Blog Entries
    borders, binding, or backing!

a small wheel chair lap quilt for a senior at the center

Quote Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Very pretty. No such thing as leftovers, that is what scrappy quilts are made from.
    Ditto

Theres plenty of scrap quilts the leftovers can be used for.
    Add them to your stash and when you least expect, there they will be, ready for your next project.
    This is why I have never bought a 'quilt kit'. Use whats in your stash for a quilt top. Or buy fabric, make a quilt top and add to your stash. :thumbup:

Maybe buy a couple of batiks that read as solid, and either make another quilt, or even make your quilt bigger with a scrappy border.
    There's always smaller things too: table runner, pillow, sachets, small tote, coasters, book cover, pin cushions, etc.
    Hope you make it work to your satisfaction! :)

you might could make you a sewing machine cover, or placemates for your table,
    HUGS Dora

Such pretty colors on your quilt. I really like it! Which Bali did you use?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    No such thing as waste. WHile at a quilt retreat, everyone was buying the Balipops strips and making beautiful change pruses, full size grommet purses and such. YOu can probably google a few purses. I have the pattern but it is missing in action right in my sewing room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Sure turning out pretty. How about just sewing together and make borders, or sew together and make binding.

Wonder why the 'waste'?
    Probably to allow for the various mistakes some of us tend to make and then are apt to call and complain that we were shorted fabric.

Blog Entries
    Left over fabric is very acceptable to me. It's just more I don't have to shop for later. There are too many small projects to use the leftover for to list. Check modabakeshop.com and Bali Pops website for ideas.

That quilt is beautiful. I'm sure you will find a use for the scraps. I always do. Scrappy quilt maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahbelle
    I am making a 'Candy Dots' quilt that I bought from KQ. I really like the fabric and how it is turning out. I knew that it was going to be lap size and I was ok with that..... what I am not ok with is how much waste their was with this pattern.

The pattern called for 2 Bali Pop packs (those aren't cheep).... but when i got done putting it together I had 28 10 1/2" sets of 3 strips sewn together, 8 strips not used and some 10" (and less) cuts from other strips.

In my book, this much waste is unacceptable. I have enough strips to make 7 (yes 7) more rows, but nothing to make the boxes (cause they are made from near solids, and there aren't any more). I can't supplement and make more boxes because of how random everything is. Also, because of the way it is put together, I can't add to the ends (the rows that start with strips start with a smaller length of strip).

Any ideas on how to use these extra strips so they dont go to waste?
    Use them as a border in a rail fence type of pattern. Or go through your stash, find a coordinating solid, border that and then use those strips to make another border. So you go from a lap to a full???

or send em my way eg

Really pretty quilt. Your quilt inspector is hinting that he/she would like a quilt out of the leftovers.

I love your quilt! I would use the extra in the border or just put it in your stash & use it later in another project.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahbelle

In my book, this much waste is unacceptable.
    Don't you like stash?

How about a Wall Hanging,pillows,a project that pulls all of it together.Pillowcase to go with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    any leftovers (not waste,IMHO) i use as a scrappy border or scrappy binding.

save a piece for a pretty label too!

i do tend to keep any "like" leftovers together..like baby/child prints to make a scrappy quilt down the road.

your quilt is beautiful though!

i think i am reading your "waste" as the cost of the jelly rolls, meaning you could of paid less,buying less fabric from the company.

Pretty quilt. I would use the leftovers in a scrappy quilt, adding what is necessary to make the right size. Scrappy quilts are my personal favorites.

Blog Entries
    I think she should make the boxes out a contracting color/colors and use up the strip she had left over. Is it possible the package she bought was for a larger quilt? I also had that experience with a pack, but mine was to be expected, but I didn't let the left-overs go to waste. I'm making Pot-pinchers, 35 of them, for gifts. After cutting out the heart, I had a 5 inch square at the fold of the piece (15 pieces, 15 squares). I just squared it up and will use with a joining square to make a shopping bag, or something. My mother always said "Waste not, want not." She would have been 124 years old this month.

I won't repeat what's already been said. Just think it's way better to have too much than not enough. More stash for other projects to create from!

I put my left overs in a bag. When I have enough, I make a baby quilt or a scrappy quilt.

Sounds like you nay have enough for a complete back for this quilt, even though it would be slightly different from the top.
    Whatever you decide, this is beautiful.

You did a great job on the quilt. I use every little srcap I can. I make crumb blocks and I sort scraps as I make them....As you are finishing what you are doing with one fabric put the left overs a side in bins labeled for differant size scraps. That way it is not so overwhelming. Your scraps will be organized and when you find a pattern for the size you will have what you need with out hours of sorting left overs.
    I look at scraps as free fabric for the need project.
    Happy scrapping,
    Christina,(Chrissy)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast