Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sorry, Another batting question about cotton

Quote Originally Posted by HMK
    I've used the bamboo batting and treated it the same as the Warm & Natural as far as pre soaking - put it in the washing machine, let the tub fill with hot water, turn it off, let it soak for about 30 - 60 mins. Then do a spin and then throw it in the dryer on regular heat and voila - it's wonderfully soft and ready to use. Not had any problems with it.
    that's also what it says on their website. i'm waiting for a 50% coupon to try it myself. very eco-friendly, too. :P

Great information.

I buy Warm & Natural by the whole roll and have never had a problem with thin spots or wrinkles. I do not pre - wash either. I love the look of the little bit of shrinkage I get when washing the quilt when done.

The comment about oily spots is an interesting one. I have had 1 quilt that I made 6 years ago that developed a couple spots on only 2 of the 26 different fabrics in it. The quilt was spray-basted, probably heavier than I now spray and with a different brand than I use now. It may be because of the basting spray, it may be because of the quality of the fabric, though it was a quilt shop quality fabric, it may be the cotton batting, or a combination of all 3. The spots look a little like it mildewed a little, though I guess it could also look oily. It is a quilt I made for my DD #2 and she has it at her home so I can look at it again right now. It took several years for the spots to show. It has been washed several times and after the spots appeared I even washed it with a little bleach. I have never had any others do that, and I have made over a hundred quilts using the Warm & natural product and spray baste.

I am curious what happened and why. My boss also spray basted one and I think used W & N but used cheaper fabrics and used a whole can on only 1 queen size and she had a bunch of spots appear after a couple years also. Now, she sprayed it with a ton of spray and it took her 3 years to quilt it, therefore it was not washed until the spray had been on it for 3 years!!!

can i buy warm and natural by the roll at 120"? i've never actually seen it.
    has anyone out there seen it anywhere?

I'm not sure if you can get the 120", I have bought the king size bats in packages for the sizes larger that 90", I hate piecing batting!!!

yeah, i've bought 120's in packages, too. i'm really not sure if they warm and natural though.

Yes, I just did a search and you can get it 124" on a roll. It comes in a 25 yd roll. You can buy it buy the yard off the roll if someone carries it. Do a google search to find the best prices for a roll. Two weeks ago I got a 90" x 40 yard roll from JoAnns on sale for 1/2 off as well as an additional 10% off. A great deal.

Zoo
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    can i buy warm and natural by the roll at 120"? i've never actually seen it.
    has anyone out there seen it anywhere?
    The place where I got my 90" wide Warm and Natural also had it 120" wide on a roll, so it is out there.
    Zoo

AH-HA!

joann's has it on sale this week for half price. ALL their packaged batting, so i got 3 king-sized w & n. after all, how can you turn that down?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2