Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, another question, please!

I wash reds and blacks with shout color catchers (found in Walmart or grocery stores) I have found mine near the starch. I bought a bottle of liquid starch and mixed my own with water in a spray bottle. I just sprits my fabric and iron out any wrinkles. The fabric seems to handle better There are no dumb questions, I have asked a slew and still ask. Way to learn. The folks here are great and willing to help. I myself am self taught, no classes, no family members that taught me anything about quilting.
    Last edited by EagarBeez; 01-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

"The only dumb question is the one not asked ". Ask away . this board loves to help.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    It seems like when people first learn to quilt there are lots of different ideas out there. I buy my fabric for wall hanging, table runners and bed quilts from LQS so I don't prewash them as I figure the better quality fabric won't be a problem. Flannel I prewash unless I want to have it shrink to look old. I don't prewash charm packs at all because they are so small but I know people that do. But as you can tell everyone has learned different ways to quilt. I use Magic sizing or Mary Ellen's to stablize the fabric and get any wrinkles out- it really helps to be accurate when cutting.
    Last edited by quilting in my60s; 01-28-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    quilting with my dogs

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    You'll get lots of answers to wash/not wash...starch/not starch. It really boils down to personal preference. I pre-wash; I starch. I want to pre-shrink my fabric. I've pre-washed and still had things run due to excessive dye. Color catchers are a beautiful thing. I'm also older than dirt and grew up starching cottons when ironing. Just normal for me. But it does give the fabric more body and does make cutting/piecing more accurate - at least for me.
    Here's why I prewash - because if I spray it either with steam or sizing, it sometime shrinks the piece just enough to be s problem. I find that when I prewash fabrics,this doesn't happen.

Only one dumb question...the one you never ask. You will only get answers if you ask...so ask away!

I starch/size because it makes handling the fabric easier, especially those small bias cuts.

Have you ever seen a sample of stitches in a Dealers shop? They are always on a stiffend fabric. Makes the stitches stand out better..no puckers.

Quote Originally Posted by bubble951 View Post
    Sorry, forgot to ask this. Since I'm not only a new user to this site, but a new quilter also, I have a number of dumb questions. Here is my first one. Why do you spray start your material? Thanks!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Blog Entries
    Everyone keeps referring to Mary Ellen's Best Press. Is it really that much better than spray sizing or starch? And does it really smell that much better? Just curious as I'm thinking of ordering some of it (but don't know which scent!)
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    I don't starch because I heard that it can attract silver fish. I do use the Best Press on occasion - when I deal with bias seams or when I need to block a piece into shape.

Fabric sizing (or starch) in general gives the fabric a crisper feel - sort of like unwashed new fabric but wihout the chemicals.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have never washed my fabric before I make my quilt and never had a problem. I love Best Press. I bought a gallon on Amazon for $22. At the LQS they wanted $50. I always iron my fabric before I use it. Always!

There are no dumb questions in a search for knowledge, sweetie. ask away and we will do our best to answer your questions. Quilters love to share.

I always pre-wash my fabrics. I am new to all this too. I was told starch would help the blocks. It really did, but I found it turned the fabric yellow. I am using white for my background and borders. The blocks are great, but I found the border is more white than the white I used in the blocks. (( starched the block pieces.)

I think a great fabric won't need starch; I bought some recently and it was nice and thick and easy to sew.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote from Madquilter:I don't starch because I heard that it can attract silver fish:unquote.

Now I have a question...does the silver fish come because the starched fabric is in storage OR
    after the quilt has been completed (pieced and quilted), washed and stored??
    This board is fantastic for giving help to one another
    Vi

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
    I prefer 'best press' to starch, it works really well and smells wonderful. A couple of tips, iron the fabric before you spray, the heat makes the starch absorb into warm fabric better, also, especially if the fabric is dark, spray on the back so you don't get any residue on the front.
    Thank-you feffertim...I am going to start sizing/starching on the back and ironing the fabric beforehand....great tip.
    Vi

I always prewash. For me since I'm using a variety of fabric manufactures fabric in one project I'm concerend with some shrinking more than others.
    when I first started quilting I starched everything. It really helped. Now I only feel the need to starch if I'm working with sharp angels where there might be more stretch than on a standard 45 degree angle.

Banned
    I don't startch, size, wash or iron my fabric before using it. No trouble thus far and I've been quilting since the 70s.
    I've never starched but did prewash all new fabric til about 15 years ago. I just found it easier to work with unwashed fabric. I never ironed fabric even when it had been washed and was wrinkled. I use templates or wide rulers to cut and they press it flat.

Blog Entries
    I have heard "The Only Dumb Question Is The One You Don't Ask"

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    I don't use starch, probably would be a good thing if I did, I don't know. I have allergies and asthma so can't use it.
    When times were tough for me, I started using water mixed with cornstarch for my spray starch. This might work for one that has allergies and asthma.

Quote Originally Posted by bubble951 View Post
    Sorry, forgot to ask this. Since I'm not only a new user to this site, but a new quilter also, I have a number of dumb questions. Here is my first one. Why do you spray start your material? Thanks!
    Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question! The teacher in me just wanted to reassure you of that! Good luck with your quilting adventure.
    My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Hi there and welcome to the site from Florida. I personally use starch because it gives the fabric more body and easier to work with. Then when you complete your quilt it will wash out. It is a personal decision though. Good luck. There is always someone to help on this site.
    Connie

I know it's a good idea to stabilize fabric before cutting, especially with triangles and the such, but both MaryEllen's and regular spray starch leave me feeling ill in an odd sort of way. Accuracy is more challenging when your fabric is a little "sloppy", but possible.
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

Blog Entries
    I think that the only thing that attracts the silverfish is the starch in the fabric when the fabric is stored. A washed quilt made from starched fabric should not attract anything (other than jealous people wanting it for themselves)
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

My experience is that using starch helps with keeping the bias edges from stretching. BTW....in 35 years of sewing, I have NEVER had bugs from starch. I suspect for those who did have them, they are caused by something else.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

I spray startch mine so the fabric doesn't stretch out of shape so much when I am trying to iron it. I also think it makes cutting the fabric easier.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

What a waste of time and money. I try to prewash my fabrics but don't starch unless necessary. Everyone has their own opinions though. Do what feels right for you

I starch mostly because it helps with accurate cutting and I need all the help I can get!
    Annie

Blog Entries
    And by the way there is NEVER a dumb question. You can never learn unless you ask.

There are alot of things about quilting that's not in books.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast