Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
space bags and quilts??? >

space bags and quilts???

space bags and quilts???

Old 06-08-2015, 02:43 PM

My brilliant idea also. When I opened the bags I was overpowered by the plastic off-gas stench.
It seemed to dissipate after about an hour in the dryer, but there were at least 20 quilts stored, and of course I couldn't fluff the room...

I decided last year I wasn't making any more big quilts. It was a real gift to myself, they are now in the range of 42"X42" and I switch them out on the loft bannister. Cures the problem of getting tired of a project...by the time you are tired of it you are finished.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:22 PM

The thought of having too many quilts. Boggles my little brane.
I have a lot of quilts... well quilt projects. LOL
Don't want to finish them all at once!
I don't think I'll be needing compression bags for awhile, like never. I love quilting but there are too many other things to occupy my time.
I don't think you can permanently damage the loft of the quilt if you pull them out once a year and fluff them in the drier. Make it a weekend project and suck up the gas/electric bill the next month! Be sure when you put them back in the bags, you fold them differently than when you pulled them out. tim in san jose
Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM

I've never used those bags, but I don't think I'd store quilts in them. I'd say either rolled, or fold and hang on heavy duty hanger, cover with garbage bag, and tie bottom loosely. I do this, but they are rotated seasonally. Any more than I can use, I give away, other than a couple extras. Don't know if you are interested in donating, but Victorias quilts sends to cancer patients, and they are in great need, they'll even take just quilt tops and finish them to send out. I have sent them some tops, as that's my favorite part of the process.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

It depends on how often you let them be aired out. Also the temperature of where these quilts are being stored in.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 AM

I like to store mine in plain cotton calico bags I make , just with a drawstring top , works for me .
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 AM

I've always been told not to put our quilts into plastic for any length of time as they can't breath. When I give a quilt as a gift, I try to make a pillowcase that matches with the leftover fabrics and I give them their quilt inside this pillowcase and tell them to store it in the case when not in use. It will keep the quilt clean and let it breath. Now that I think about it after reading about the sleeping bag I think I might have one in a plastic case a blanket or sheets came in. Will remedy that situation pronto. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM

I store a few under the bed in plastic zipper bags. They aren't space bags - no squeezing. I have a bunch of my grandma's wool quilts in there and a few of my own. I'd like to find a pair of nice big cedar chests for the foot of the bed but so far nothing even remotely affordable has come my way. My gran stored her wool quilts wrapped in sheets and put into cedar chests; I loved how they smelled when she'd first give them to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking from reading this thread, that I might use my formerly liked, but now tired of fabric to make a cover for the stack of quilts.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

I guess I will just try storing some of the quilts in these bags and see what happens if anything. I thank all of the ladies that responded to my question on storing quilts..

Some of the ladies said that if they had a lot of quilts they would donate them to places like Victorias quilts or other places like this that are in need of quilts..I already send many quilt to our hospital for the preemie babies each month and to the quilt of valor is another of my favorite place to make and send quilts to..The quilts that I have I really love the colors and the design so don't really want to part with these quilts..this is why I needed to find some way to store them when I am not using them..

I do sew almost every day as this keeps me going and I do really enjoy it. Thanks to all the ladies for there reply on my problem of storing my quilts..
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM

If I had so many beautiful quilts, I would want to display them. I would get one of those quilt display ladders that butts up against the wall. They don't seem to take up much room and you can look at and touch all of your amazing creations whenever you want.