Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking of Apple Cores. >

Speaking of Apple Cores.

Speaking of Apple Cores.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Youre Welcome!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Sadly I cut all of my material before I found out how hard it was. I was able to be the first rows together but when I tried to put the long rows together I just could not to get the seams to line up. When it became no fun...after ripping apart the seam many times...I decided it was not worth it.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Sadly I cut all of my material before I found out how hard it was. I was able to be the first rows together but when I tried to put the long rows together I just could not to get the seams to line up. When it became no fun...after ripping apart the seam many times...I decided it was not worth it.
I understand. I have planned with some duplicate apple cores to make a small one first try, a small wall hanging. I figure that way I can practice before I start on the big one.
I am holding fast to my belief that I will finish this.
(Big Sigh)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Cyn

I may have to try these just to see how it goes :)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by grugirl
They are a bugger to sew together one by one. If anyone has worked on these did you then sew them row to row or another way. These are a challenge. I have 378 cut from all different fabric and another 430+ to go. Wow...
Thanks
I worked in sections. Since it's basically a tessellation, the sections will nest just like rows would.

But I found it was easier to work in a 6x6 or 8x8 section. If you're doing scrappy, you can just pick them off the top of the pile. Mine was all up on the wall.

Then it's easy to put the sections into a bigger section, and those into quadrants, then two halves, and then you're done. YAY!!

See how easy that was. :mrgreen:
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Are you alternating lights and darks, or just anything goes?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
They are a bugger to sew together one by one. If anyone has worked on these did you then sew them row to row or another way. These are a challenge. I have 378 cut from all different fabric and another 430+ to go. Wow...
Thanks
I worked in sections. Since it's basically a tessellation, the sections will nest just like rows would.

But I found it was easier to work in a 6x6 or 8x8 section. If you're doing scrappy, you can just pick them off the top of the pile. Mine was all up on the wall.

Then it's easy to put the sections into a bigger section, and those into quadrants, then two halves, and then you're done. YAY!!

See how easy that was. :mrgreen:
This is EXACTLY how I was going to attempt to do it as it just seems easier. Funny though that all the different instructions I found said to do it row by row. Looks incredibly hard to do it row by row with this shape.
Thanks so much.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
MTS
Banned

This is EXACTLY how I was going to attempt to do it as it just seems easier. Funny though that all the different instructions I found said to do it row by row. Looks incredibly hard to do it row by row with this shape.
Thanks so much.
To me, doing it row by row just seems cumbersome, and more difficult to keep things straight (even though there's nothing straight about the AppleCore). But you know what I mean.

And I did mine by machine (the Quiltsmart way), and it was a breeze. I would maybe possibly attempt a hand-pieced version in the future. Maybe. ;-)

Please post a pic when you're done!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Thanks so much.
To me, doing it row by row just seems cumbersome, and more difficult to keep things straight (even though there's nothing straight about the AppleCore). But you know what I mean.

And I did mine by machine (the Quiltsmart way), and it was a breeze. I would maybe possibly attempt a hand-pieced version in the future. Maybe. ;-)

Please post a pic when you're done!
I sure will.