Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking of hexies... >

Speaking of hexies...

Speaking of hexies...

Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM

Default Speaking of hexies...

Crafty has a class on hexies by Mickey Depre..looks interesting...anyone try this? I am tempted to sign up, but I haven't done the two I did sign up for....I think I'll look on amazon and see what her book looks like.......
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 AM

I don't know anything about Mickey Depre but I made a grandmother's flower garden quilt from hexis that I cut out of that plastic template that you can find at LQS or big box stores. I have a picture of it in my album here. I saw the use of hexis on a Alex Anderson show called Simply Quilts. That's been off the air for quite a few years but I loved that show.... she had so many guests that showed so many fabulous quilting ideas and techniques.

As far as finishing the quilt, you have to bargain with yourself to do that. At least for me, that's the only way I get some done. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Mickey Depre has a blog and Facebook page. Lots of her hexies are there with free patterns for them but her actual method is not shown. She has a book co authored with Bonnie Hunter, "Ring Around the Hexie".
Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I don't know anything about Mickey Depre but I made a grandmother's flower garden quilt from hexis that I cut out of that plastic template that you can find at LQS or big box stores. I have a picture of it in my album here. I saw the use of hexis on a Alex Anderson show called Simply Quilts. That's been off the air for quite a few years but I loved that show.... she had so many guests that showed so many fabulous quilting ideas and techniques.
As nanna up north said, I did basically the same thing. My LQS years ago had a $5 class on how to use them and I signed up. Took me over two years to finish piecing my GFG. I used a package of Quilt Patis. They are on the expensive side but the you are not needing to deal with getting the paper out as with paper piecing.

Recently there have been some fun posts that have been interesting with technique and designs on this site regarding hexes. I too miss the show Simply Quilts. It was the best informative show on quilting with a list of who's who's in the quilting industry.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM

I understand that we can subscribe to Alex's show online. I've seen her quilts up close. She was a guest at one of the Martha Pullen schools I attended. Her hand stitching is awesome.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

There are a few videos of Simply Quilts on HGTV site. Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims have a quilt show online. I like it better then Simply Quilts. Much more detailed.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 AM

Mickey Depre was on The Quilt Show. She is the expert so if you want to know about hexies her craftsy show would probably be worth it. I have many of the shows and only asked for a refund for once. Several of the guests on TQS now have craftsy sites. Didn't renew my membership because the forum here is soooo much better and so many, many vidoes are free now on the internet.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 PM

I have done a queen size GFG using EPP...freezer paper method...took a little over two yrs to piece...now in my stack of to be quilted.....but mickey's method, from the preview I saw is done by piecing the fabric in specific ways, laying the hex pattern a certain way for cutting.........giving an added design element on the hexies, I imagine....anyway, I found her books on amazon, ordered them and am waiting for delivery. I want to do another hexie as a winter project, but want to try something a bit different too...I think!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM

I'm a student in the Craftsy class on pieced hexies. It's not just the usual hexie technique; if you look at her book on Amazon I think you'll see the difference. The work is very detailed and exacting so if you tend to be a little loosey-goosey you might not like it. I'm willing to try anything ... once. LOL
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I'm a student in the Craftsy class on pieced hexies. It's not just the usual hexie technique; if you look at her book on Amazon I think you'll see the difference. The work is very detailed and exacting so if you tend to be a little loosey-goosey you might not like it. I'm willing to try anything ... once. LOL
Waiting for the books now.....sounds like it could be an interesting challenge......are u enjoying the crafty class....might still sign up for it....