Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Specifics about Quilt Guilds please..... >

Specifics about Quilt Guilds please.....

Specifics about Quilt Guilds please.....

Old 06-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Heard many people belong to guilds, but completely in the dark about exactly what they do. My imagination sees a group of women sitting around a conference table showing of new gadgets they've purchased, projects they've completed, coupon exchanges, maybe a guest speaker, refreshments, etc. Is there an agenda, dues, a charity component, etc. How do "online guilkds work? Can some of you share specifics.
What would be the benefit of joining a online guild?
Thanks ladies
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 AM

INSPIRATION, FELLOWSHIP, LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES and most of the things you mentioned above. I stayed away a long time because I did not want to be critiqued by the quilt police. But they don't go to my guild. Maybe they go to one of the other 4 or 5 near me. Sometimes we have a speaker. We virtually always have sharing of finished projects. We do lots for charity, for the local hospital, animal shelter, Quilts of Valor and Soldiers Angels. We potluck on a schedule, charter a bus to the International show at Long Beach, play Bingo for FQs, have door prizes, blocks of the month and Friendship exchanges plus more I am too tired to think of now. Go check yours out. And if it is not a great match and you are not in a really rural area there may be several near you. Find a good match for. Some people are the quilt police do they do not mind hanging with them at all.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

there are lots of guilds--who probably have their own agenda's but ours- we have a business meeting- guest speakers, plan-organize charity activities-
there are refreshments-
we have membership dues- paid once a year- the guild (hosts) a quilt show every other year you can put your quilts in- there are workshops- and show and tell...
ours is a large group-
you meet quilters who love nothing more than sharing their craft- a great place to meet new friends with like interests and learn new things.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10 AM

Checking out various guilds in your area is great advice. I went to one a year or so ago and was not impressed with the personalities. I just emailed another about attending a meeting this Tuesday and am hoping it goes better.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Different guilds do different things. Most have some sort of ongoing charity project. Meetings usually have committee reports, a treasurer's report and that sort of thing. Then usually a program or presentation and then show and share.

I've been to 5 different guilds and have never seen a conference table or exchanged a coupon.

Dues in the guilds range from $12 a year to $25 a year. Meetings range from once a month, every other month and every three months.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 AM

Guilds definately come in different "flavours" and it is important to get the right fit. Smaller guilds tend to be able to do more "hands on activities" at meetings and because they often have less funds may feature more local speakers and "in house" presenters. In house meaning one of your own members which is often a really good opportunity to learn new skills. Larger guilds can often afford big name speakers which is also great but large guilds may make it harder to get to know members well. Try out a guild. I'm sure you will meet some new quilting buddies and learn something new or interesting.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Guilds definately come in different "flavours" and it is important to get the right fit. Smaller guilds tend to be able to do more "hands on activities" at meetings and because they often have less funds may feature more local speakers and "in house" presenters. In house meaning one of your own members which is often a really good opportunity to learn new skills. Larger guilds can often afford big name speakers which is also great but large guilds may make it harder to get to know members well. Try out a guild. I'm sure you will meet some new quilting buddies and learn something new or interesting.
This is exactly what I was going to say. I belong to one of each - a large guild and a small guild. I enjoy both for different reasons.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:02 AM

Every personality may not be your cup of tea. I go to benefit the community by helping on charity quilts.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Great place to meet like minded people. They are right, all of them have their own atmosphere. Everyone should be able to find one that suits them perfectly!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 AM

The best part of my guild for me is the inspiration. The ladies in my guild are amazing. They actually FINISH projects. Can you imagine such a thing. I have one UFO done and another getting some attention. They inspire me so I can have something for show and tell!