Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spicy Spiral question ...

DJ

Spicy Spiral question ...

I have the pattern and fabrics to start the Spicy Spiral Table Runner. I plan to use my 10 degree ruler rather than purchasing the 9 degree. I understand that it will be fine, but the runner will turn out a bit wider and shorter. My question is, does it affect the cutting ... are you able to get the same number of wedges?

I suppose I could measure and calculate it myself once I get the stratas sewn, but I'm kind of hoping I can avoid that if someone has a quick answer for me.

Thanks!

Power Poster
    A circle has 360 degrees in it.

360 degrees divided by 9 equals 40

360 degrees divided by 10 equals 36

Much as I dislike buying a specialty ruler for a project, sometimes using the "exact" tool makes the project turn out better.

I took a class for this runner. I used a ten degree and sewed a wider seam, worked great. I added cut extra wedges to make up the wedges needed for the nine degree. The cutting and organizing was the most important part of making this. And color choices. I used shades of batik med to light browns, a neutral pack of strips I had. It looked like a snail when it was sewn together. LOL I never used it, don't even remember what happened to it now. Really bright bold colors look best for this pattern was the opinion in the class when all were made.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have made several of these. It will not matter which you use because even though you start with strip sets that have eight (or nine) same width strips your subcuts do not fall the same place in the midst of a strip with every cut. When you sew them back together, the seams do not match. That is part of the charm as they look like half steps of quarter steps. The finished product will have a slightly different dimension, but makes no visual difference. Have fun!

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I had to watch a u-tube video for it to all make sense.

I also used the 10* ruler with no problem, in fact I really enjoyed it. One tip I would suggest if possible have your cutting board out on a table that you can completely walk around. Because you will cut your wedges from your strata but leave it laying intact and then you move over to the other side of the table and cut your next wedges "in between". Also don't worry if you don't get exactly the same amount of wedges from your strata, it all works out well. Let me see if I can find the ones I made. Name:  Itty Bitty005_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 1462
Size:  68.2 KB

I also made one of these fun runners. I think I also used a ten degree ruler for mine. I used a sparkly white fabric on the inside, which made it really special when it was finished. I made the binding to match the runner coloration. Red and blue.

As best I can remember, I also had to watch the video before I made it to clear up the directions in my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-05-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

My ruler is 10 degree and I am able to cut all of the pieces listed. No room for miscuts. I generally use yardage, not FQs. I have made at least six. This is the second one - for my second daughter.
    Name:  100_0275.JPG
Views: 1360
Size:  1.29 MB

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    …It will not matter which you use because even though you start with strip sets that have eight (or nine) same width strips ...
    My pattern calls for the strips to be cut different widths. Did they change the pattern? I don't suppose it would matter a whole lot, but just asking ...

DJ
    I appreciate everyone's help and pictures of your wonderful projects. I know there are classes and videos out there. I won't pay for a class, but will utilize the videos, although they tend to fast forward through the cutting and stacking which seems to be the critical part. The directions on the pattern are a bit confusing to me, although I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out.

Blog Entries
    I made one at our last retreat. I must admit I was intimidated at first but one of the more professional quilters took me under her wing and showed me step by step. It was awesome. At first I thought "I will never do a second one" and before I was done with it I had another one in mind. It turned out beautifully. Used her ruler so not sure what size. she had me keep them in order by stacking them in two piles and it worked out perfectly. Wish I could post a picture and may have someone help me with that so that you can see a not so advanced quilter can do it.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    My pattern calls for the strips to be cut different widths. Did they change the pattern? I don't suppose it would matter a whole lot, but just asking ...
    It's been a long time since I made mine and it seems like the pattern had me cut different widths for the 10 degree ruler...I think I just went through and penciled in the different cutting sizes on the pattern, there was no difference in the sewing.
    Sue

The widths do vary. I made a copy of the pattern and checked off each strip as I cut it, then each wedge as I cut. I lined the pairs up along the top of the couch in the family room and sewed two at a time so I could chain piece. Each cut is 3/4" shorter than the last.

I have made 2, using a 10 degree ruler as well. No problems making it, but it did turn out larger and longer than the 9 degree ones others made.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    I guess I overlooked it but can someone tell me where the video can be found?

I got the top and bottom measurements and made my own ruler.. worked just fine. I only made one so didn't want the expense of the ruler.

Here's a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lHDNgoSbw&t=12s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNOIO5VTyw

Sorry, didn't realize one of them wasn't in English...
    Last edited by SuziSew; 05-07-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Thanks SuziSew for the video it helped a great deal.

DJ
    Thanks so much for all the information, pictures of your lovely projects and video links. I will be using it all!

I have my fabrics starched and numbered. May not be able to start on it very soon though. I'm kind of hoping to get the fabrics cut and strata sewn today, but I have so much else to do ahead of that!

DJ
    I've got most of it done. Since I used the 10 degree ruler there was 1 wedge I couldn't cut and another one I apparently shouldn't have cut. I don't really get why as I haven't had time to study it but I think I just need to get Jack out to remove it from both sections and all will be well.

DJ
    I've got most of it done. Since I used the 10 degree ruler there was 1 wedge I couldn't cut and another one I apparently shouldn't have cut. I don't really get why as I haven't had time to study it but I think I just need to get Jack out to remove it from both sections and all will be well.
    The pair I thought I shouldn't have cut was actually cut the wrong length, and that's why it seemed wrong. I had to re-piece some scraps in order to cut the correct size; but I won! Here it is so far. I won't be able to finish it for a couple of weeks though.

Blog Entries
    it's looking good!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I love your color choices. It's beautiful!

The pair I thought I shouldn't have cut was actually cut the wrong length, and that's why it seemed wrong. I had to re-piece some scraps in order to cut the correct size; but I won! Here it is so far. I won't be able to finish it for a couple of weeks though.
    Great Job on this, and love your colours!

DJ
    Thank you for the compliments. The colors were chosen to hopefully coordinate with the wedding couple's dishes. Colors I happen to love as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast