Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spoonflower reviews please? >

Spoonflower reviews please?

Spoonflower reviews please?

Old 05-11-2020, 03:30 PM

Default Spoonflower reviews please?

Hello,
I have been asked to transfer some photos to fabric for inclusion in a memory quilt. Is this the sort of thing that Spoonflower can do (I think so, but I haven't actually investigated it).
If you've done this, have you been pleased with the result?
Any pointers on what to avoid? What to steer the photographer towards in selections?
I know that the better the quality of photo, the better the outcome should be.
Please let me know any thing you think may help!
Old 05-11-2020, 05:05 PM

My experience with Spoonflower has been better than I expected. I have made a photo quilt from ordering "swatches". I thought the photos turned out sharp and clear. Now I want to make a quilt using the artwork from the classes that my children enjoyed for years. I ordered a dozen to see how they would turn out, since they were art markers. Vibrant colors! Here is a pic of my work room wall. They are pinned up for inspiration. (The colorful cow is not theirs)
I've also created and ordered custom fabric that I was pleased with.
They have an editing program that is basic and user friendly.
Attached Thumbnails photo-q.jpg   wall-light2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 05:21 PM

I have used Spoonflower to print my own fabric designs and have been quite happy. I haven't used them for photos.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 PM

I have used Spoonflower to make enlargements to work off of for collages and they turned out great.

Sometimes, you have to play with the size of the photo to get it to fill the piece of fabric you want, but that can be done in just about any editing programme. I use Ribbet! which is a free programme.

Watson
Old 05-11-2020, 07:39 PM

I've used them for some specialty fabric that I loved, loved, loved and found them to be first-class in their customer service, packaging, delivery, etc. In short: You get what you pay for. I haven't tried them for some of the other specialty stuff mentioned here, but their approach to business is beyond reproach. Highly recommend them.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I used them for some vacation photos. The fabrics came out crisp, clear, vibrant. I also had fun with some of the editing tools and created some very original fabric . Very happy with spoonflower. They have a variety of fabrics to choose from for your pictures/ work.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

I used them once to print fabric for the centers of quilt show awards. they were tiny log cabins. There was no way I was going to piece 50 of those. I was very satisfied with their service. The fabric came stiff, but they included directions on how to wash/soften the fabric.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:32 AM

I once made crib sheets for someone who had a custom Harry Potter fabric made by Spoonflower. The fabric was basically black with small white emblems, and it was sooooo stiff! I called them and got the approval to wash it, and it was still stiff. I made the sheets, and they were thrilled, but I wasn’t. I don’t think it was Spoonfield being poor at their job, just that the all black print was just too stiff. As long as you don’t print a black background, you should be good. BTW, the fabric color was very stable and shrink hardly at all.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 AM
Administrator

i used them to have quilt labels printed for a guild i'm in.
excellent results.
i will use them again.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. They sound like a good company to deal with, and their products sound like quality is not an issue.I will let the person know, and let them decide....