Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sporadic quilter!

I'm a sporadic quilter, too, but for a different reason; some days I don't feel like quilting because my arthritis and my back keep me tied up in knots. When I feel good, I quilt up a storm. (I'm 77). Hope to finish the few things on my bucket list while I can still hand quilt.

I am also sporadic in that way, but try to keep the number of UFO's down. I sometimes make myself do at least 5 minutes work on a UFO before working on what I really want to work on. If I'm lucky, the five minutes turns into much longer, and once I get close to having a project finished, I get excited about it again. Then it's the quilt I really want to work on and I can get it done.

Blog Entries
    i am quilty also i have to have that pattern or that fabric guess i am addicted

Love this! I can relate.

I can relate to this! Keeping a few UFO's and WIP's in different stages helps me, but sometimes I just gotta do something new!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Noradi and Terry,

I never knew what to call myself... and now I do!!

Thanks

I think I'm a collector if fabric, patterns and ideas rather than a prolific quilter. I'm 70 yrs. old and my daughter is freaking out that "one" day she'll have to deal with all this stuff her Mom has ideas for. WELCOME SISTER!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

So much to do - so little time! Wait don't I need to go to the quilt shop? See ya!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Power Poster

Too many UFO's?

Quote Originally Posted by noradi View Post
    I have quilted for 30-35 years. On & off. I go in streaks & I am now in one of those on periods. The problem is, I want to make everything I see! I buy fabric that I will probably never get around to using. I must have at least 20 unfinished projects & I want to start another! I have been working on some of those this time but have also started a couple new ones. I am a very undisciplined person & know I must work on that but at 65, is it even feasible to make such a huge change in character? Would my family & friends still love me? Oh well, I think I'll go do some quilting & worry about it later.
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. NOT LOL. I've had the problem almost since I began quilting, so many quilts I want to make, so little time. I have several projects I should be working on now, so what am I doing? I'm putting together a very, very simple log cabin variation from a kit with the pieces all cut, just nearly mindless sewing and not much thinking. It's the downtime I need before I begin some projects that require more thinking on my part - the family reunion quilt for this year's family reunion, a bed quilt for our DGD who has begun sleeping in a "big girl" bed, a bed quilt for my DS and DDIL, and oh yes, a Boston Commons quilt in batik fabrics FOR ME!! I think the someday I'll get to the Boston Commons quilt is moving up almost to the top after the first 3 quilts. Hey a girl needs one for herself every now and then.

OMG, I started out as a cross stitcher. I have over 2,000 charts with over half already kitted up ready to go. So I got bored with that and started quilting about 5 years ago. Now I have tons of stash and just don't have enough time to get to all the great quilts I want to make. I am a sucker for BOM's and have invested tons in them.

I haven't quilted anything significant in over a year, but am doing the cross stitch right now. As soon as the weather warms up and my basement gets a little more bearable I will probably be back down there sewing this summer.

As someone said above, welcome to our world.
    Laura

My daughter trains horses. They get distracted easily. So the saying in our houses is "SHINY OBJECT!". When I'm distracted at a store or in the house, my husband uses this term "SHINY OBJECT". We laugh and I get back to the subject at hand. And then other times I'm having so much fun with the "Shiny Object" that I ignore him. He's so disciplined and doesn't like shopping anyway. But then women are gatherers (Oh, look at this option and then there's this idea) and men are hunters (let's just bag that sucker and get out of here). Buy the way there are 5 WIP's and 3 inspirations on my design wall's now.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    DO whatever makes you happy... And if you have too many UFO's send them my way- they will keep MINE company!!!

My problem is a only have one project at a time (no UFO's for me!)....but if I get frustrated or bored, I just stop working on it and do nothing else. I have been working on the same project for 2 years or I should say I have not been working on the same project for 2 years. I have plenty of fabric and other projects I could start on but I have this need to start and finish a project before starting another one. Not sure why.

I'm kind of the same way, but I make myself work on old projects along with a new one. I'm working on a valentine wallhanging that I started either 3 or 4 years ago in a swap. It's almost a top now--maybe next year

Sounds like a common addiction! Can you imagine what a meeting would be like? Besides the size of the auditorium, we could bring our UFOs and trade!!!!

Wow! Guess I'm not alone, am I? Thank you ladies for making me feel a part of the group!

Same symptoms at 78 years old.

I thought you were describing me but I'm 66. I keep reading that discipline and real creativity don't usually go together. It's a right brain/left brain thing. Maybe it's true.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I love this thread because I do the same thing and thought I had a huge problem. I can't usually admit I do it either! My very organized and disciplines friends just shake their head at all the things I have in progress! I have always felt the process was more satisfying than the end result I think some creative people like me love to work on all kinds of things just when ever my spirit moves me that way. Thank goodness my hubby, beagle and cats are perfectly happy living with me
    I'm 54

Well. I quilt some every day, but I would sure get a lot more done if I didn't spend so much time on this Quilting board.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

3 years and 3 quilts and none of them completed. Welcome to my world!

Will someone get all the "income tax stuff" together for me so I can quilt? Why, oh why, do other things have to be done before I quilt? I, too, think I have ADD when it comes to sitting at the machine for any length of time! No, it's not ADD, it's the hubby calling! (Think I'll keep him anyways!)

I think quilting, knitting, crocheting, and probably all creative work is like being at a banquet table with all the delicious food you can imagine and you want to sample every flavor, color, and texture. The thing with our hobbies is that these projects take a good while to sample and finish. And with our hurry-up world and need for fast gratification it's almost paralyzing. And as many of you mentioned, it does seem like there are too many things that must be done before we can quilt like paying taxes and bills. Oh yes, and QB, facebook, and pinterest No wonder I'm worn out by the end of the day!
    jean

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy65 View Post
    My problem is I want to make about everything I see. So I get that started and before I know it I have put it in a plastic bag for later. New project has come along.
    this describes me too! That's why I have so many UFOs! Thought I'd get more descliplined with finishing some when I retired in Dec 2007, but my computer time increased & things just got more piled up. I'm enjoying my quilting though & I get enough finished to keep 9 grandkids happy- I am blessed, who could ask for more?
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

It's all mind over matter. A real tough one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast