Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spray Adhesive.. is this the right stuff?

I ran out of my spray adhesive I got at Joanne's so we stopped by Walmart to see what they had in the craft area... My hubby found an Elmers spray adhesive for fabric, paper and foam projects.. it looks like the right stuff and said it was for fabric, even though it didn't say anything about quilting or basting.. I used it and it smells like spray paint. :? . but it is working... is this the right stuff ir have i just ruined my quilt?

BTW, it left a really sticky resude on my hand that was really hard to wash off... :shock:

Blog Entries
    I tried some of that on scrap fabric and it did not take well to being ironed... I did not try washing it to see if it really would wash out.... sorry wish I could have given you a rave review....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diogirl
    BTW, it left a really sticky resude on my hand that was really hard to wash off... :shock:
    If it left residue on your hand, I'm wondering if it will gum up the needle.

Be careful with that stuff, it may ruin your machine!

If it doesn't say for quilting I wouldn't use it. (Just my opinion)

Blog Entries
    Hi i don't post often but thought i would throw my .02 cents worth in and its probably even worth that lol...but keeping in mind I tend to being very frugal w/ my craft supplies but there are just somethings i won't bargain on and my basting spray is one of them...I only use Sullivans IMHO its the best for your money.
    theres my .02 worth and i am stickin to it lol.

I have some of that stuff and I think I'd be hesitant to use it in a quilt. According to the can it's water resistant, so I wonder if it will wash out after you're done quilting. It's also very sticky and may gum up your needles.

Blog Entries
    Quilt basting spray is water soluble. I was wondering about that too. If the residue was hard to wash off the hands, I'm thinking it's not going to wash out of the quilt the way quilt basting spray does.

I'm going to do my quilting stitches tomorrow so I will be checking the needle for a resudue often. Hubby wanted to argue with me that that stuff works the same... Men don't always know!!! : :roll:

Blog Entries
    Let us know how it goes, ok?

505 is the name of the spray to buy for quilting. it is with the quilting section not the craft section. it is near our cutting table at our wal-mart.
    the elmers is with the crafts near the paints, mod podge etc.

Blog Entries
    the spray basting sold at my local walmart works just fine for me, so i've never needed to try anything more expensive.

check any brand of spray adhesive to make sure it's intended to be temporary and wash out.

it sounds as though you bought a product intended to be a permanent spray-on glue.

if it doesn't have the word "basting" in the product name or somewhere on the can, it's probably not a good idea to use it as a basting spray.

June Tailor's spray with the light purple paper and white top has always worked very well for me. In Wal-Mart at an affordable price.

I have some of that but not for sewing. I would stay as far away from my machine with that as I can get!! It remains tacky so would think it would gum up your machine big time. I use it in card making and covering boxes with fabric. I use the June Tailor from Walmart.

I would be worried about anything that might gum up your machine. Unless you are in the market for a new machine! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I use 505 and get it from jhittle when he puts it on sale.

Aqua Net hair spray works well. Cheap too.

Banned
    When I sewed my interior for my Hot Rod I used the 3M Adhesive Spray and that is as permanent as you can get.

I spayed both the vinyl and the foam stuck it together, then sprayed the foam and muslin and stuck it together like a sandwich. The muslin was there so the feed dogs would not chew up the foam.

I sewed the pleats up right after I glued it together and I never had an issue at all with the needles or machine.

Now I did use my 1911 Singer 27 in a treadle to sew the interior so I dont know if this has any bearing as to whether it would mess up the machine using that type of spray adhesive.

Billy

If you got the can in the craft dept. of walmart be careful. If it doesn't say quilting spray do not use!!! Why do I know,cause I used it. On the label it says for matrial,paper Etc. I almost ruined my Machine. I didn't think I would ever get it out. SUCH A MESS, I didn't take it to the shop but I really should have. DH helped me get the gummy,flaky mess out. I will never second guess that kind of spray again. The can has an orange lid and dark blue and orange on the can called Elmers Craft bond. it is not for quilting yes it does glue material but is NASTY!!!!
    BillsBonBon

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Wow, does it work the same? Can you lift and reposition your fabric like you can with the adhesive spray? I never thought of using hairspray.. Doesn't gum up the needle? I can get hairspray for $1... :D the spray adhesive for quilting I've seen are $15 a can!!

Yes it works pretty well. you can reposition and it does nothing to the machine. Washes out too. I have used it on small projects. I don't know what kind of results you would get with large ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I never thought of hairspray.....and no problems with gumming up and breaking thread?

I hope your spray works out alright. I use the adhesive spray because I have such a small home and no where to spread it out. When I go to the Moose Lodge I lay the top on the floor and stretch it and tape it to the floor. I spray the back of the quilt top and put the batting on. I rub out all the wrinkles that I can and then spray it, too. I add the backing and let it stand for a little bit before I roll it up loosely to transport home. It has given me a chance to quilt. Before, all I got accomplished was making tops, and lap quilts. Thanks for listening. Ruth

I only use 505....not only is it safe for your machine; but there is no odor using in the home either.

I only do this by hand. I can't stuff all this through my machine. If there is a secret, I surely do not know it so I've been stitching by hand. If I'm alive in 2020, I might have it completed....chuckle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast