Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting & Pinning When Sandwiching >

Spray Basting & Pinning When Sandwiching

Spray Basting & Pinning When Sandwiching

Old 11-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Default Spray Basting & Pinning When Sandwiching

I like to spray baste, but I have found that on large quilts, it helps me to go ahead and use straight pins too on a section that I'm machine quilting. The spray works pretty well at holding it all together, but I find that the added security of the pins keeps things from minor shifting and the puckers to a minimum. I just do a small section at a time and remove the pins as I stitch through that area. Does anyone else do this?
Old 11-15-2020, 12:12 PM

I have not pinned after the spray basting but I will try that because I have had some pleats on the back. Thanks for this tip!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 PM

I don't ever use straight pins while quilting* any more, but I'm sure my thighs have the scars to show that I once did.

Even with spray baste I often use a few extra pins to secure my top as I begin, especially for certain things like keeping edges straight or whatever. But I'm talking maybe 10-20 pins instead of 200...

*I still pin the heck out of my piecing, including border strips... every 2 inches or so. Have a nasty scratch currently healing due to that. Hubby was relived it wasn't from a lion attacking me or anything like that.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I glue baste but also put a few safety pins in just for added security.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:23 AM

I do both. Since I bunch up my quilts, I think it helps. I have a Juki 2010 and sometimes it gets bunched with alot of twists and turns.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:43 AM

When I was still spray basting I would use safety pins on the edges. I no longer spray baste but glue baste. I have no shifting at all and it is far less expensive that spray basting. No puckering either.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
When I was still spray basting I would use safety pins on the edges. I no longer spray baste but glue baste. I have no shifting at all and it is far less expensive that spray basting. No puckering either.
I have that same experience. It was a game changer.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 PM

I usually spray baste and never considered once I was told by Patsy Thompson that she's had quilts basted for several years (505), folded and quilted later with no problems. I've not heard anything about the newer basting system I've seen Alex Anderson use. I also was taught to SITD to stabalize first before quilting. I don't necessarilly do every seam but at a minimum of quartering the quilt. I have one that has long been pinned. I'm almost ready to tackle this one (king size) so I'll leave some of the pins in after I SITD. Seems logical advice. LOL I've left many love stains in my daughter's dresses from pinning. LOL I never pin now, piecing or garment sewing, the Pfaff IDF is a wonder.