Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spray basting >

spray basting

spray basting

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM

I am using 505 spray and i really it. I like the fact that you can rearrange your fabric several times. It's just quick and easy and your sandwich stays together. it does not gum up your needle. You can do several big quilts with a can. It really saves time pinning or thread basting.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM

I bought the Elmer's Multi-purpose Spray Adhesive. It says "water-resistant" and says dries permanent. Will NOT use it on a quilt!!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM

Here is a homemade spray glue that you can use :

I have tweaked a recipe from a member of the Quilting Board forum that I follow. Mrs. Beasley posted a recipe that I finally got around to trying yesterday, I modified the recipe to keep in step with my cooking style. The spray glue mixture sprayed easily out of the bottle and had a nice adhesion to it.
So here we go!

3 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces or rubbing alcohol
clean spray bottle

- In a pot place 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt bring to a boil and reduce to a gentle boil.
- In a gravy shaker (or a jam jar) put 1 cup of cold water and 3 tbsp of flour - shake until the flour and water are combined.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the gently boiling water like you are making gravy and let it cook until the consistency of gravy/egg whites/ thin gruel.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a clean spray bottle add 8 ounces of rubbing alcohol and the cooled flour mixture, gently shake and go sandwich a quilt.

*** There was one posting that someone had sprayed a quilt and left for a few months and they had some mold grow. Since I am not going to leave my two quilts that I sandwiched yesterday that long I can't say for certain that this does or does not happen. I just wanted everyone to know that this had been reported.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Can't it be lifted and moved in the beginning?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 AM

Carslo - is a quart spray bottle the right size? Do you do the ironing thing as you spray the quilt together? I love the idea of "free" basting - am going to try this next lap quilt I put together. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 AM

I ordered 505 spray from Amazon. Not only was the price great, it arrived the next day!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:05 AM

I've used the Elmer's spray. It's not worth the trouble and it gums up the needle. If you leave it on too long it becomes permanent. I've also tried Aqua Net hair spray. Again, not worth the trouble. IMHO Elmer's Washable School Glue is the best thing to use.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I am also a convert to the Elmer's washable school glue.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM

I have used 505 for years and really like it. The only thing is to use it sparingly and not soak your project
or surrounding work area. I would not use Elmer's although I have heard of some who do...just a personal
preference. BTW, 505 is not just washed off work area surfaces when you over spray. It takes some scrubbing.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Spray Basting

I have always been able to get a temporary spray called "505" over the internet from Sewforless.com. Two 17 ounce cans including shipping cost $34.72. I have never had a problem with. In a recent communication from this site I was informed that they were replacing the spray from a different manufacturer and were discounting the one I have been purchasing. I don't know if the discount is still available but it might be worth a try.

Ronee

The last time I purchased it
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
i was at the WM yesterday to pick up some 505 spray, which is costly here, 15$ for a small can.
i happened to a nearby section of elmer's glue and they had a spray glue that was twice the size and half the price.
i read the label carefully and could see no problems with it. Fabric is listed as one of the uses. it is said to be
temporary or permanent. wondering if anyone has used it. does either of the glues disolve after washing?
comments on this are welcome, thanks.